Using fourier series to sum 1/n^4

In summary, Fourier transform of x^2 does not seem helpful to sum 1/n^4, maybe I need a polynomial in x of degree 4?
Gregg
[tex] \sum _{n=1}^{\infty } \frac{1}{n^4} [/tex]

I can do 1/n^2 easily by using x^2 as a function but for this I try

[tex] x^4=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\pi }^{\pi } x^4 \, dx+\sum _{n=1}^{\infty } \left(\frac{2}{\pi }\int _0^{\pi }x^4\text{Cos}[n x]dx\right)\text{Cos}[n x] [/tex]

I arrive at:

[tex] \pi ^4=\frac{\pi ^4}{5}+\sum _{n=1}^{\infty } \frac{8 \left(-6+n^2 \pi ^2\right)}{n^4 } [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4\pi ^4}{5}=\sum _{n=1}^{\infty } \frac{8 \left(-6+n^2 \pi ^2\right)}{n^4 } [/tex]

f(x) = x^4 does not seem helpful to sum 1/n^4, maybe I need a polynomial in x of degree 4?

Physics news on Phys.org
using [tex] x^4 - 2\pi^2x^2 [/tex]

[tex] x^4 - 2\pi^2x^2 = \frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\pi }^{\pi } \left(x^4-2\pi ^2 x^2\right) \, dx+\sum _{n=1}^{\infty } \left(\int _0^{\pi }\left(x^4-2\pi ^2 x{}^{\wedge}2\right)\text{Cos}[n x]dx\right)\text{Cos}[n x][/tex]

I end up with

[tex] -x^4 = -\frac{7 \pi ^4}{15} -\sum _{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{48 }{n^4 } [/tex]

[tex] \frac{8 \pi ^4}{720} = \sum _{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^4} = \frac{\pi^4}{90} [/tex]

You can use Fourier transform of x^2 to sum 1/n^4 too.

Hint: compute the L^2 norm of the function x^2 in two ways, directly and using the Fourier coefficients.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm working on the same problem and understand everything except where the x^4 - 2pi^2 * x^2 came from. Any help would be appreciated.

The second post of the thread contains a trick which you don't need. The first post of the thread already contains the solution.

tourjete said:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm working on the same problem and understand everything except where the x^4 - 2pi^2 * x^2 came from. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes the second part isn't useful for Fourier but is if you need to sum an infinite series. The function which you use needs to give you the series you want to sum and it is found with trial and error sometimes.

one more solution is possible for the sum of 1/n^4

. first calculate the Fourier series of x^2...

then integrate it ...3 times..

on first and third time the coefficient of integration will be zero you can put
x = 0;

after that after third time integration you will be able to find
the integration coefficient of 2nd time integration ...

that will calculate to -7/180

now put value x= pi in the second time integration ...

you will get the desired result...

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It can help to analyze and understand the behavior of a function over a specific interval.

How can Fourier series be used to sum 1/n^4?

Fourier series can be used to sum 1/n^4 by representing the function as a combination of sine and cosine functions with different coefficients. By manipulating these coefficients, it is possible to approximate the value of the sum.

What is the significance of using Fourier series to sum 1/n^4?

Summing 1/n^4 is important in mathematics and physics as it appears in various mathematical problems and physical phenomena. Using Fourier series to sum this function can provide a more accurate and efficient way of solving these problems.

Are there any limitations to using Fourier series to sum 1/n^4?

Yes, there are limitations to using Fourier series to sum 1/n^4. The series may not converge for certain values of n, and the resulting sum may only be an approximation rather than an exact value.

Can Fourier series be used to sum other types of functions?

Yes, Fourier series can be used to sum other types of functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. It is a powerful tool in mathematics for approximating and analyzing various types of functions.