1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using function T_A(v) = Av to transform 2 vectors

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let u1 = [1 1]^T and u2 = [0 -1]^T. Find a 2 x 2 real matrix A so that the function T_A is a map from ℝ^2 to ℝ^2, given by multiplication by A,

T_A := Av,

sends T_A(u1) = v1 and T_A(u2) = v2 where v1 = [cosθ sinθ]^T and v2 = [-sinθ cosθ]^T. Explain/justify your work.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

in the first part of the question, we are asked to prove that v1 and v2 form an orthonormal basis for ℝ^2. At first I thought that we would use Gram-Schmidt process but the two vectors are already orthonormal. So basically I am clueless as to where to start/proceed.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2
    I attached the pdf file of the question, it is question #1b.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    we must have [itex] A.u_1=v_1=(cos(theta),sin(theta))^T [/itex], and [itex] A.u_2=v_2=(-sin(theta),cos(theta))[/itex]
    In other words, a_11 + a_12 = cos(theta) ; a_21 + a_22 = sin(theta) ; - a_12 = -sin(theta) ; - a_22 = cos(theta) .

5. Sep 23, 2012 #4
    well, first you prove that v_1 and v_2 are orthonormal:
    normal: sqrt(cos²(theta) + sin²(theta))=1 in both cases.
    ortho: if [.,.] is the inproduct in R, then [v_1,v_2]= (-sin(th)cos(th)+sin(th)cos(th))=0.
    then you prove that they are a basis of R^2. which means 1. linearly independent 2. span{(v_1),(v_2)}=R^2.

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5
    Thanks alot for helping me out, I guess I was overcomplicating the question because we are covering different topics, mainly Gram-Schmidt process so I thought we would have to incorporate that into the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook