Using Kinematics to find the Distance of an object dropped from rest

Using x = 1/2(Vo +V)t, you can solve for h by plugging in the known values. In summary, to find the height h, you need to use the kinematics equations and find the time it takes for the stone thrown upwards to hit the ground. Then use that time to solve for the height h using the equation x = 1/2(Vo +V)t, where V is the initial velocity and t is the time.
garcia1

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown straight up from the ground
with an initial speed of 44.1 m/s . At the same
instant, a stone is dropped from a height of
h meters above ground level. The two stones
strike the ground simultaneously.
Find the height h. The acceleration of
gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations, such as V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax, V = Vo +at, x = Vot +1/2at^2, and x = 1/2(Vo +V)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought that by plugging the known variables, with V as 0 m/s, into V^2 = Vo^2 +2ax, solving for x. I got x=99.225. This was wrong. I then re-read the statement, thinking that I needed to double my answer, since the object thrown up also had a downward portion before it hit the ground with the falling object. This was x = 198.45m. This was also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to find the time it takes for the rock thrown upwards to hit the floor again. Using that time, you know that the second rock covered a distance of h in the same amount of time under uniform acceleration.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is the equation for calculating distance using kinematics?

The equation for calculating distance using kinematics is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

How do you find the distance of an object dropped from rest using kinematics?

To find the distance of an object dropped from rest using kinematics, you need to know the initial velocity (which is 0), the time the object has been falling, and the acceleration due to gravity (usually denoted as -9.8 m/s2).

What is the unit of measurement for distance in kinematics?

The unit of measurement for distance in kinematics is meters (m).

What are some real-life applications of using kinematics to find the distance of an object dropped from rest?

Some real-life applications include calculating the distance traveled by a falling object, measuring the height of a building or cliff, and determining the position of a projectile in motion.