Using mesh as a waterproof material

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a small enough screen mesh to make it waterproof, taking into consideration factors such as surface tension and water pressure. The speaker also mentions using weed blocker and a waterproof spray as a potential solution for keeping their window open during rain showers.
Tylercc
How small would screen mesh have to be so that it would be consider waterproof? (ex: screen mesh small enough so that it would not break the surface tension of the water)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tylercc said:
How small would screen mesh have to be so that it would be consider waterproof? (ex: screen mesh small enough so that it would not break the surface tension of the water)

I suggest you would also have to consider the pressure of the water against the mesh

so tell us more about what you are trying to achieve :smile:Dave

I would like to have my window open when it's raining and feel the fresh air, without my stuff getting wet. I was thinking some weed blocker sprayed with some https://www.liquidoff.com . Thought?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does mesh work as a waterproof material?

Mesh is a type of fabric that is made up of closely woven fibers or wires. When used as a waterproof material, the small gaps between the fibers or wires are sealed off with a waterproof coating, preventing water from passing through.

2. Is mesh more effective than other waterproof materials?

It depends on the specific use and conditions. Mesh can be highly effective as a waterproof material, especially when combined with other layers or coatings. However, for extreme conditions or heavy exposure to water, there may be more effective alternatives.

3. Can mesh be used for outdoor gear and clothing?

Yes, mesh is commonly used for outdoor gear and clothing such as tents, backpacks, and rain jackets. It is lightweight and breathable, making it a popular choice for outdoor activities.

4. Is mesh environmentally friendly?

The environmental impact of mesh as a waterproof material can vary. Some types of mesh may be made from sustainable materials, while others may not be biodegradable. It is important to research the specific type of mesh being used and its impact on the environment.

5. How do I care for and maintain mesh as a waterproof material?

To maintain the waterproofing of mesh, it is important to follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. This may include avoiding harsh chemicals, machine washing on a gentle cycle, and reapplying a waterproof coating periodically.