Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determining node voltage using Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem

1. Aug 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using mesh analysis work out the currents flow through each of the three meshes. From these current values calculate the voltage of node A, and node B with respect to the ground node.

Find equivalents of sub circuits A-G, B-G, A-B by applying Thevenin's theory. Then place these equivalents together and prove that the voltage at node A, and node B will be the same as in the previous problem.

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws, Thevenin's laws.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at the solution should be visible in the images I uploaded. The three current values I obtained through Mesh Analysis have been verified using the Circuit Wizard program. My only uncertainties are with regards to determining the voltages at node A and B with respect to the ground node.

I am not certain whether my method for their determination using the currents from the Mesh Analysis are correct. Also, with their verification using Thevenin's theorem, I am not certain about how exactly to figure out the node voltages using the theorem.

If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    hey dude, im also doing 103. What you need to do is find the thevenin equivalent current for ur Thevenin circuit. After you've done that, set a current flow direction i.e clockwise. To find V(a) and V(b) you then need to do KVL until u get to nodes A or B. Note that if you go against the current direction, your current value will have to be a negative. Hope i helped and hope its not too late. Good Luck.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
    Same here doing 103, got problem 5 though. Just follow acurabot's steps there correct. GL

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Thanks for that Acurabot. I realise it is a ridiculously late post, but I thought I should thank you for the time you took to post. I ended up figuring it out (must admit I didn't get your post before I submitted), but thanks again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook