1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining node voltage using Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem

1. Aug 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using mesh analysis work out the currents flow through each of the three meshes. From these current values calculate the voltage of node A, and node B with respect to the ground node.

Find equivalents of sub circuits A-G, B-G, A-B by applying Thevenin's theory. Then place these equivalents together and prove that the voltage at node A, and node B will be the same as in the previous problem.

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws, Thevenin's laws.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at the solution should be visible in the images I uploaded. The three current values I obtained through Mesh Analysis have been verified using the Circuit Wizard program. My only uncertainties are with regards to determining the voltages at node A and B with respect to the ground node.

I am not certain whether my method for their determination using the currents from the Mesh Analysis are correct. Also, with their verification using Thevenin's theorem, I am not certain about how exactly to figure out the node voltages using the theorem.

If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    hey dude, im also doing 103. What you need to do is find the thevenin equivalent current for ur Thevenin circuit. After you've done that, set a current flow direction i.e clockwise. To find V(a) and V(b) you then need to do KVL until u get to nodes A or B. Note that if you go against the current direction, your current value will have to be a negative. Hope i helped and hope its not too late. Good Luck.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
    Same here doing 103, got problem 5 though. Just follow acurabot's steps there correct. GL

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Thanks for that Acurabot. I realise it is a ridiculously late post, but I thought I should thank you for the time you took to post. I ended up figuring it out (must admit I didn't get your post before I submitted), but thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?