1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using molarity in stoichiometry problems

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1

lzh

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the molarity of 50.0mL sample of aluminum sulfite when it is reacted with 3.00M solution of barium chloride? The product of this double replacement is aluminum chloride and barium chloride.

2. Relevant equations
    The first thing i did was balance(all number after forumula is subscript):
    Al2(SO3)3 + 3BaCl2 -> 2AlCl3 + 3BaSO3

molarity is :
    Mol of solute/ L of solution
    It gives me the volume so i need to find the mol
    3. The attempt at a solution

as my teacher said, its best to always start with the value other than M. So:
    .050L Al2(SO3)3 * something to take it out of liter and into mols. But in order to do that i need to know Al2(SO3)3's molarity, and i only know barium chlorides's.

I must be not considering something pertaining to barium chloride, but i'm not sure, can someone lend me a hand?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2
    That's all the variables you have? It doesn't say anything about the volume of Barium Chloride or any of the products? I may be missing something as I just woke up, but I can't see what to do without something else.

4. Jan 16, 2007 #3

lzh

yeah thats all it gave me...

5. Jan 16, 2007 #4
    I would just assume that I had 3.00 mol Barium Chloride then. There has to be another variable...

6. Jan 17, 2007 #5

lzh

lol, the teacher had the problem wrote wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?