Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using multistrand wires for an ultrasonic transreceiver

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    I was recently doing a project on a ultrasonic transreceiver, and was adviced to use thin multistrand wires for rigging the circuit., for reducing signal noise. I am not able to understand why we need to use multistrand wires, or if they help in reducing noise, how they help. Because i find soldering and making a circuit with single strand wires(thin) is much easier, than using multistrand.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Were they maybe referring to Litz wire? Standard stranded wire will have a little lower inductance than solid wire, but not by as much as Litz wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    Yes i think so it was the same kind of wire they were referring to, (though i got confused and ended up using normal thin multistrand). Is it the same kind of wire used in earphones?

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Litz wire is mainly used in high-end speaker cables, and probably some other specialized applications. Check out the wikipedia.org page for more info. Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?