Using Newton's Method to Find f(x)=x^5+x-1's Zeros to 5 Decimal Places

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30

Homework Statement


Hi there. I'm having some trouble with this exercise, which says: Use the Newton's method for determining the zeros of f(x) to 5 decimal places for [tex]f(x)=x^5+x-1[/tex].

So [tex]f'(x)=5x^4+1[/tex]

I thought of iterating till I get [tex]x_n-x_{n+1}<0.000001[/tex]. The thing is that I get to a point where the calculus become too difficult because of the numbers dimensions.

I've started with x=1
[tex]x_1=1\Rightarrow{x_2=1-\displaystyle\frac{1}{6}}=\displaystyle\frac{5}6{}[/tex]

[tex]x_3=\displaystyle\frac{5}{6}-\displaystyle\frac{1829}{11526}=\displaystyle\frac{1296}{1921}[/tex]

From here it becomes to difficult to continue.
[tex]f(x_3)=\displaystyle\frac{1296^5}{1921^5}+\displaystyle\frac{1296}{1921}-1[/tex]
[tex]f'(x_3)=5\displaystyle\frac{1296^4}{1921^4}[/tex]

And I still too far from the five decimal places that it asks me for.

I have this formula too, which I don't know how to use

It says:

Being [tex]f:[a,b]\longrightarrow{\mathbb{R}}[/tex] a function two times derivable on the compact interval [a,b] such that 1º) f(a) and f(b) have different sign; 2º) exists [tex]k_1<0[/tex] such that [tex]|f'(x)|\geq{k_1}[/tex] for all [tex]x\in{I}[/tex]; and 3º) exists [tex]k_2\in{\mathbb{R}}[/tex] such that [tex]|f''(x)|\leq{k_2}[/tex] for all [tex]x\in{I}[/tex]. Then it verifies:

1.º In ]a,b[ there is only one root r of the equation f(x)=0
2.º If r is enclosed on an interval [tex][r-\delta,r+\delta]\subset{[a,b]}[/tex] with [tex]\delta<2(k_1/k_2)[/tex] and if we take [tex]x_1[/tex] on the interval, the succession [tex]x_n[/tex] defined by recurrence by

[tex]x_{n+1}=x_n-\displaystyle\frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)}, (n\in{\mathbb{N}})[/tex] (Newton iteration)

converges to the root r, and it verifies

[tex]|x_{n+1}-r|<\displaystyle\frac{k_2}{2k_1}|x_n-r|^2[/tex] y [tex]|x_{n+1}-r|<\displaystyle\frac{2k_1}{k_2}(\delta/\displaystyle\frac{2k_1}{k_2})^{2n}[/tex]Can I use this last to know how many iterations I'll have to use to get the error that it asks me for?

Bye there, and thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just use a calculator to evaluate each iteration? Newton's method is, after all, a way to estimate roots numerically. You'll find it converges quickly to the desired accuracy. (By the way, you messed up somewhere in calculating x3.)
 
My calculator can't do much more than helping me with the divisions and multiplications :P

Nice observation by the way, I've made one mistake with x_3
 
Last edited:
That's all you need it to do.