Using Newton's Second Law for a System of Particles

In summary, when a 4 kg dog stands on a 16 kg flatboat at a distance of 12 m from the shore and walks 5 m towards the shore, the dog will end up 8 m from the shore. This is calculated by setting the shore as the origin and using the principle of momentum conservation to find the final position of the center of mass, which is the same as the initial position of the dog. The dog's displacement is 4 times greater than the boat's displacement, which is expected due to the difference in mass between the two objects.
blue5t1053
The Problem:
A 4 kg dog stands on a 16 kg flatboat at distance 12 m from the shore. The dog walks 5 m along the boat toward the shore and then stops. Assuming no friction between the boat and the water, find how far the dog is then from the shore.
The dog's displacement is towards the shore. The boat's displacement is away from the shore.

My work:
I set the shore as the origin.
Then, ((4 kg x 12 m) + (16 kg x 12 m))/(4 kg + 16 kg) = 12 m for original center of mass. ((4 kg x 7 m) + (16 kg x 12 m))/(4 kg + 16 kg) = 11 m.
So I get a 1 m difference.

My question: does it mean that the dog is currently 7 m + 1 m away from the shore, or does it mean that the dog is 12 m - 1 m away from the shore?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the answer will be 8.25 m since when the dog walks towards the shore. the boat will move away from the shore according to the principle of momentum conservation.

blue5t1053 said:
The Problem:
A 4 kg dog stands on a 16 kg flatboat at distance 12 m from the shore. The dog walks 5 m along the boat toward the shore and then stops. Assuming no friction between the boat and the water, find how far the dog is then from the shore.
The dog's displacement is towards the shore. The boat's displacement is away from the shore.

My work:
I set the shore as the origin.
Then, ((4 kg x 12 m) + (16 kg x 12 m))/(4 kg + 16 kg) = 12 m for original center of mass.
Is the dog initially in the middle of the boat? You are using this here.
((4 kg x 7 m) + (16 kg x 12 m))/(4 kg + 16 kg) = 11 m.
So I get a 1 m difference.

My question: does it mean that the dog is currently 7 m + 1 m away from the shore, or does it mean that the dog is 12 m - 1 m away from the shore?

The last calculation is wrong. How di dyou get 7 meters?? And you are assuming that the boat has not moved! No, you must call the new position of the dog "x". It's an unknown. The center of the boat has moved but since the dog walked 5 meters relative to th eboat, the center of the boat is now at x+5 meters from the shore.
Use that the center of mass has not moved and solve for x.

kdv said:
Is the dog initially in the middle of the boat? You are using this here.

The last calculation is wrong. How di dyou get 7 meters?? And you are assuming that the boat has not moved! No, you must call the new position of the dog "x". It's an unknown. The center of the boat has moved but since the dog walked 5 meters relative to th eboat, the center of the boat is now at x+5 meters from the shore.
Use that the center of mass has not moved and solve for x.

If I set the new position of the dog as:

((4 kg x (X+5) m) + (16 kg x 12 m))/(4 kg + 16 kg) = ? m

Then solve for X?

blue5t1053 said:
If I set the new position of the dog as:

((4 kg x (X+5) m) + (16 kg x 12 m))/(4 kg + 16 kg) = ? m

Then solve for X?

No. You have again treated the boat as if it had not moved!

As for "x", use it to represent the position of the dog. Then the position of the center of the boat is x+5 .

kdv said:
No. You have again treated the boat as if it had not moved!

As for "x", use it to represent the position of the dog. Then the position of the center of the boat is x+5 .

Alright, I think I have my answer.

Total distance of the dog moving toward the shore is: 5 m - [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat;
The final distance of the dog is: X_dog_initial - 5 m + [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat;
X_dog_intial = 12 m
After some algebra: [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat = [M_dog/(M_dog + M_boat)] x (5 m);

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat = [(4 kg)/(4 kg + 16 kg)] x (5 m) = 1 m;

X_dog_initial - 5 m + [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat;
12 m - 5 m + 1 m = 8m

blue5t1053 said:
Alright, I think I have my answer.

Total distance of the dog moving toward the shore is: 5 m - [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat;
The final distance of the dog is: X_dog_initial - 5 m + [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat;
X_dog_intial = 12 m
After some algebra: [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat = [M_dog/(M_dog + M_boat)] x (5 m);

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat = [(4 kg)/(4 kg + 16 kg)] x (5 m) = 1 m;

X_dog_initial - 5 m + [tex]\Delta[/tex]X_boat;
12 m - 5 m + 1 m = 8m

And you can double check your answer by calculating the final position of the center of mass ans see that it is the same as before.

(and note that the dog has moved with respect to the shore by 4 times more distance than the boat has moved which makes sense since the boat is 4 times more massive)

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is Newton's Second Law applied to a system of particles?

In a system of particles, each particle experiences its own individual forces. The net force on the entire system is equal to the sum of all the individual forces acting on each particle. Therefore, Newton's Second Law can be applied to the entire system by considering the total mass and acceleration of all the particles.

3. What is the equation for Newton's Second Law?

The equation for Newton's Second Law is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

4. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's Second Law is often used to explain the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. According to the Second Law, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it, and therefore the object will have a greater tendency to resist changes in its motion.

5. Can Newton's Second Law be used to calculate the acceleration of a system of particles?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be used to calculate the acceleration of a system of particles as long as the net force and mass of the system are known. By rearranging the equation to a=a=F/m, the acceleration of the system can be determined.