1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Noether's Theorem find a continuity equation for KG

1. Sep 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the Klein-Gordon equation ##(\partial_\mu \partial^{\mu}+m^2)\varphi(x)=0##. Using Noether's theorem, find a continuity equation of the form ##\partial_\mu j^{\mu}=0##.

2. Relevant equations

##(\partial_\mu \partial^{\mu}+m^2)\varphi(x)=0##

3. The attempt at a solution

I really haven't been able to solve this problem because I don't understand why Noether's Theorem would be useful in this case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2

Twigg

Gold Member

The Klein-Gordon equation, like any quantum wave equation, is invariant under a complex phase shift of the wave function. You can show that this is a 1-parameter continuous symmetry.

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3
    If I show that, does Noether's theorem immediately guarantee such a continuity equation?

5. Sep 12, 2016 #4

Twigg

Gold Member

The conserved current you're looking for is the one predicted by Noether's theorem given that the Lagrangian is invariant under a phase shift of the wavefunction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted