1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Python to calculate projectile motion with resistance

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to write a program to calculate the trajectory of a projectile with air resistance. I've made the following function which calculates the position of the particle based on a given launch angle and initial velocity:

Code (Python):
    def traj_fr(angle, v0):             #function that computes trajectory for some launch angle & velocity
        vx0 = math.cos(angle)*v0        #compute x components of starting velocity
        vy0 = math.sin(angle)*v0        #compute y components of starting velocity
        x = np.zeros(len(time))         #initialise x array
        y = np.zeros(len(time))         #initialise y array

x[0],y[0] = 0,0     #initial position at t=0s, ie motion starts at (0,0)
        x[1],y[1] = x[0] + vx0*(2*dt), y[0]+vy0*(2*dt)  #calculating 2nd elements of x & y based on init velocity

i=1
        while y[i]>=0:  #loop continuous until y becomes <0, ie projectile hits ground
            f = 0.5 * gamm * (h - y[i]) * dt        #intermediate 'function'; used in calculating x & y vals below
            x[i+1] = ((2*x[i]-x[i-1]) + (f * x[i-1])) / (1 + f)                 #numerical integration to find x[i+1]...
            y[i+1] = ((2*y[i]-y[i-1]) + (f * y[i-1]) - g*(dt**2) ) / (1 + f)      # ...& y[i+1]
            i = i+1     #increment i for next iteration

x = x[0:i+1]        #truncate x array
        y = y[0:i+1]        #truncate y array
        return x, y, (dt*i), x[i]       #return x, y, flight time, range of projectile
    For some reason I'm getting a traceback whenever the angle 'fed' to the function is greater than 1 radian. If I restrict the input angles to anything smaller than π/3, it works. It doesn't for π/2. I can't figure out why this is happening; I've written an almost-identical program to calculate trajectory without air resistance & π/2 isn't a problem for that. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this? This is the error I'm getting:

Here is the whole program, if that helps:

Code (Python):
    # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    import numpy as np
    import math
    import scipy.constants as const

g = const.g     #gravitation constant
    dt = 1e-3       #integration time step (delta t)
    v0 = 40         #initial speed at t=0

angle = math.pi / 4     #launch angle in radians
    time = np.arange(0,10, dt)      #create time axis

gamm = 0.005    #gamma (used to compute f, below)
    h = 100         #height (used to compute f, below)

def traj_fr(angle, v0):             #function that computes trajectory for some launch angle & velocity
        vx0 = math.cos(angle)*v0        #compute x components of starting velocity
        vy0 = math.sin(angle)*v0        #compute y components of starting velocity
        x = np.zeros(len(time))         #initialise x array
        y = np.zeros(len(time))         #initialise y array

x[0],y[0] = 0,0     #initial position at t=0s, ie motion starts at (0,0)
        x[1],y[1] = x[0] + vx0*(2*dt), y[0]+vy0*(2*dt)  #calculating 2nd elements of x & y based on init velocity

i=1
        while y[i]>=0:  #loop continuous until y becomes <0, ie projectile hits ground
            f = 0.5 * gamm * (h - y[i]) * dt        #intermediate 'function'; used in calculating x & y vals below
            x[i+1] = ((2*x[i]-x[i-1]) + (f * x[i-1])) / (1 + f)                 #numerical integration to find x[i+1]...
            y[i+1] = ((2*y[i]-y[i-1]) + (f * y[i-1]) - g*(dt**2) ) / (1 + f)      # ...& y[i+1]
            i = i+1     #increment i for next iteration

x = x[0:i+1]        #truncate x array
        y = y[0:i+1]        #truncate y array
        return x, y, (dt*i), x[i]       #return x, y, flight time, range of projectile

x,y,duration,distance = traj_fr(angle,v0)   #define variables for output of traj_fr function

print 'Distance: ' , distance
    print 'Duration: ' , duration

n = 5
    angles = np.linspace(0, math.pi/2, n)   #generate array of n angles
    print 'Angles: ' , angles
    maxrange = np.zeros(n)                  #generate array of n elements to take range from traj_fr

for i in range(n):      #loop to run angles through traj_fr function & populate maxrange array with distance results
        x,y,duration,maxrange[i] = traj_fr(angles[i], v0)

angles = angles / 2 / math.pi * 360       #convert radians to degrees
    print 'Launch Angles: ', angles

print 'Optimum Angle: ', angles[np.where(maxrange==np.max(maxrange))]

plt.plot(x,y)       #quick plot of x vs y to check trajectory
    plt.xlabel('x')
    plt.ylabel('y')
    I've been tearing my hair out over this for hours. I'm new to programming so this is probably a basic error I don't have the know-how to spot.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just to add - the air resistance is height-dependent.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
    I ran a quick test on it; I believe the problem is that your integration time is too short - that is, the object has not hit the ground after 10 seconds. That is why the size of your position array is too small. Try increasing the range of your time axis.

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3
    Ahhh amazing, that's done it! Thank you so much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted