1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using right hand rule 1 to find direction of magnetic field

1. Apr 2, 2016 #1
    [Mentor's note: Thread moved from technical sections so no template shown]
    33xvmev.png

So the calculations all make sense.

But for example to find the direction of B2= 1.33 X 10-5T

I believe you should position your right hand like this:

Because your thumb should point in the direction of the current which is upwards in this case?

2mcivqg.gif

Assuming my approach so far is correct I don't understand how this hand image tells me that B2 is into the page.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I assume that you're looking for the field at point P? (It's hard to tell without a proper problem statment to make clear what it is you're trying to solve). If you picture the right-hand-rule image superimposed on current 2, point P would be in the vicinity of the hand's wrist. The B field arrows are pointing into the wrist, hence into the page.

4. Apr 2, 2016 #3
    Yes I am trying to find the field at point P. I think I understand now. If you don't mind can you also explain how I could find field B1 at point P?

5. Apr 2, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You've already done the calculation for the magnitude of the field. The direction is given by the right hand rule. Imagine wrapping your hand around the current as in the figure, with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current (so downwards in the case of current 1). Your fingers curl in the direction of the field (picture your finger nails as arrow heads).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted