Using the shell method to find a volume of a solid

In summary, the task was to use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving a leaf-shaped region around the line y = 2. This was done by integrating 2π(shell radius)(shell height) with respect to y, using (2-y) as the shell radius, and evaluating it for y = 2, resulting in a volume of 8π/5 units cubed.
deekin

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the shaded region about the indicated axes. Now, I don't know how to put the graph on here, but the equations are below. The shape revolves around the line y = 2 to produce the solid.

Homework Equations

x = (1/4)(y^4)-(1/2)(y^2)
x = (1/2)(y^2)

The graphs form this leaf shape, on 0≤y≤2.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the following work, please read the integral sign as the definite integral from 0 to 2. I don't know how to include the upper and lower bounds.

V = ∫2π(2-y)((y^2)/2-((y^4)/4-(y^2)/2)))dy

V = ∫2π(2-y)(y^2-(y^4)/4)dy

V= 2π∫(2y^2-(y^4)/2-y^3+(y^5)/4)dy = 2π(2y^3-(y^5)/10-(y^4)/4+(y^6)/24)

Then I evaluated that for y = 2, which gave me a volume of 8π/5 units cubed.

Hopefully I expressed everything clearly in this post. This is my first time posting equations and my work online, so please let me know if anything needs to be clarified. The general method that I used was to integrate 2π(shell radius)(shell height) with respect to y. For the shell radius, I used (2-y), and this is what I'm not sure on. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
deekin said:
Now, I don't know how to put the graph on here

You can scan the section or just take a clear picture with a camera, and then directly attach the picture to your post.

deekin said:

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the shaded region about the indicated axes. Now, I don't know how to put the graph on here, but the equations are below. The shape revolves around the line y = 2 to produce the solid.

Homework Equations

x = (1/4)(y^4)-(1/2)(y^2)
x = (1/2)(y^2)

The graphs form this leaf shape, on 0≤y≤2.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the following work, please read the integral sign as the definite integral from 0 to 2. I don't know how to include the upper and lower bounds.

V = ∫2π(2-y)((y^2)/2-((y^4)/4-(y^2)/2)))dy

V = ∫2π(2-y)(y^2-(y^4)/4)dy

V= 2π∫(2y^2-(y^4)/2-y^3+(y^5)/4)dy = 2π(2y^3-(y^5)/10-(y^4)/4+(y^6)/24)

Then I evaluated that for y = 2, which gave me a volume of 8π/5 units cubed.

Hopefully I expressed everything clearly in this post. This is my first time posting equations and my work online, so please let me know if anything needs to be clarified. The general method that I used was to integrate 2π(shell radius)(shell height) with respect to y. For the shell radius, I used (2-y), and this is what I'm not sure on. Thank you.
That all looks fine to me !

Yes, 2-y is the radius of the shell(s).

Awesome, thank you for checking it out for me.

What is the shell method and how does it work?

The shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and adding up their individual volumes to find the total volume of the solid.

When do you use the shell method?

The shell method is typically used when the solid of revolution has a curved boundary that is best described by a function in terms of the height or depth of the solid. It is also useful when the axis of revolution is not along the x or y-axis.

What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method?

The disk method involves slicing a solid into thin disks perpendicular to the axis of revolution, whereas the shell method involves slicing a solid into thin cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of revolution. The choice between the two methods depends on the shape of the solid and the function used to describe it.

How do you set up the integral for the shell method?

The integral for the shell method is typically set up as ∫(2πrh)dx, where r is the distance from the axis of revolution to the shell, h is the height of the shell, and dx represents the thickness of the shell.

What are the limitations of the shell method?

The shell method may not be applicable if the solid of revolution has a complex shape or if its boundary cannot be described by a function in terms of the height or depth of the solid. In such cases, other methods such as the washer method may be more suitable.