Using simpsons rule, how to find the error bound?

In summary, the error bound for the Simpson's Rule approximation of the integral of sqrt(x) dx from 1 to 9 is 0.6667. To verify that the approximation is within this error bound, you can add the error bound to the calculated value and check if it falls within the actual value.
Randall

Homework Statement

Find the error bound using Simpsons Rule for integral of SQRT (x) dx from 1 to 9.[/B]

Homework Equations

E = (M * (b-a)^5) / (180 * n^4), where M = max value of the 4th deriv of x dx
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached please - I can't figure out what to use for the value of M, which is supposed to be the maximum value of the 4th derivative. I graphed the 4th deriv (see attached) and the max y = 0 and the max x is infinity? I need help figuring out M please thanks.https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cn5q3n96iutgu4/IMG_6352.JPG?dl=0 [/B]

Attachments

• IMG_6352.JPG
    IMG_6352.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 792
Physics news on Phys.org
Randall said:

Homework Statement

Find the error bound using Simpsons Rule for integral of SQRT (x) dx from 1 to 9.[/B]

Homework Equations

E = (M * (b-a)^5) / (180 * n^4), where M = max value of the 4th deriv of x dx
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached please - I can't figure out what to use for the value of M, which is supposed to be the maximum value of the 4th derivative. I graphed the 4th deriv (see attached) and the max y = 0 and the max x is infinity? I need help figuring out M please thanks.https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cn5q3n96iutgu4/IMG_6352.JPG?dl=0 [/B]

M is not the max value of the fourth derivative of x dx (although it is related to the fourth derivative of ##f(x)## = the integrand in ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx##). In fact,
[tex] M = \max_{a \leq x \leq b} |f^{(4)} (x) | [/tex]

What happens near x = 0 or out at x = ∞ is irrelevant, since the only values the matter here are the ones between x = 1 and x = 9.

Assuming the 1/3 rule, the approximate error is given by:

$$E_a = - \frac{(b-a)^5}{180n^4} \space \bar f^{(4)}(\epsilon)$$

Where ##\bar f^{(4)}(\epsilon) = \frac{\int_a^b f^{(4)}(x) \space dx}{b - a}## is the average fourth derivative on the interval.

Ray Vickson said:
M is not the max value of the fourth derivative of x dx (although it is related to the fourth derivative of ##f(x)## = the integrand in ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx##). In fact,
[tex] M = \max_{a \leq x \leq b} |f^{(4)} (x) | [/tex]

What happens near x = 0 or out at x = ∞ is irrelevant, since the only values the matter here are the ones between x = 1 and x = 9.
Thank you!
-R

Zondrina said:
Assuming the 1/3 rule, the approximate error is given by:

$$E_a = - \frac{(b-a)^5}{180n^4} \space \bar f^{(4)}(\epsilon)$$

Where ##\bar f^{(4)}(\epsilon) = \frac{\int_a^b f^{(4)}(x) \space dx}{b - a}## is the average fourth derivative on the interval.
Thank you!
-R

Ok. So after calculating the error bound using M=15/16, I get 0.6667. Does this mean the approximation needs to be within 0.66% of actual? Or does it need to be within 66.67% of actual? 66.67% seems awfully big, and 0.66% seems to be awfully small...

Last edited:
Randall said:
Ok. So after calculating the error bound using M=15/16, I get 0.6667. Does this mean the approximation needs to be within 0.66% of actual? Or does it need to be within 66.67% of actual?
Neither. What makes you think it's a fractional or percentage error?

Oh! Ok. So what do I do with this 0.6667 value then? What does that tell me? The problem wants to verify that the approximate value (found via the Simpsons rule) of 17.32 is within the error bound (0.6667) of the actual value of 17.6667. Do I add 0.6667 to 17.32 = 18, and since the actual value is 17.6667 (which is less than 18), I am within the error bound?

Randall said:
Oh! Ok. So what do I do with this 0.6667 value then? What does that tell me? The problem wants to verify that the approximate value (found via the Simpsons rule) of 17.32 is within the error bound (0.6667) of the actual value of 17.6667. Do I add 0.6667 to 17.32 = 18, and since the actual value is 17.6667 (which is less than 18), I am within the error bound?
Yes. Logically you would run that the other way: is the calculated value between (actual - bound) and (actual + bound), but it comes to the same thing.

1. What is Simpsons Rule?

Simpsons Rule is a numerical method used to approximate the value of a definite integral. It is a more accurate method than the traditional Trapezoidal Rule as it uses quadratic polynomials to approximate the curve instead of straight lines.

2. How do I use Simpsons Rule to find the error bound?

To find the error bound using Simpsons Rule, you need to calculate the fourth derivative of the function and then plug it into the error formula: Error Bound = ((b-a)^5 / 2880) * f⁽⁴⁾(c), where a and b are the limits of integration and c is a point within that interval.

3. What is the significance of the error bound in Simpsons Rule?

The error bound in Simpsons Rule represents the maximum possible error in the approximate value of the integral. This means that the actual value of the integral will be within the error bound of the approximation.

4. Can I use Simpsons Rule for all types of functions?

Simpsons Rule can be used for any function that is continuous and has a fourth derivative. However, it may not be the most efficient method for all types of functions. It is best used for functions that are smooth and do not have sharp turns or corners.

5. How do I know if my approximation using Simpsons Rule is accurate enough?

The accuracy of your approximation using Simpsons Rule can be determined by calculating the error bound and comparing it to the actual value of the integral. If the error bound is small, then your approximation is considered accurate.