1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    Ive attached the problem and my work in the pic.

Questions:

Am I even applying the taylor polynomial the correct way? (I never learned taylor series, but I was supposed to be taught in the pre-requisite class)

Am I suppose to plug in c=4? Im not so sure about how the U4(t) works.

After I have found the taylor polynomial, do I just take the laplace transform of it, and then that is my answer?

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this problem you want to make use of the forumula

[tex]\mathcal L(f(t-a)u(t-a) = e^{-as}\mathcal Lf(t)[/tex]

but you need to take the transform of f(t)u4(t) = f(t)u(t-4), which isn't in that form. So to use the above formula, you need to express f(t) in powers of (t-4).

Once you have the Taylor polynomial, you would take its transform as though all the t-a terms were t and multiply the result by e-as.

I didn't check your arithmetic but be sure you go up through the 4th derivative since you have a 4th degree polynomial and the 5th derivative and above would be 0.

[Edit] Your numbers are OK but you need that last term to get the 4th degree.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    ok, I see now. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook