1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the integral test to test for divergence/convergence

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{8\arctan{n}}{1+n^2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so im comparing it to the integral [itex]\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{8\arctan{x}}{1+x^2}[/itex]
    but at first i need to show that the function im integrating is continuous, positive and decreasing. I know its continuous and positive from 1 to infinity but i need to show that it is decreasing
    so i found the derivative of the function and got [itex]\frac{8-16x\arctan{x}}{(1+x^2)^2}[/itex] but i got stuck trying to find the critical points
    specifically i forgot how to solve equations like [itex]8-16x\arctan{x}=0[/itex], mainly just because of that extra x in front of the arctan
    i know this boils down to more of a precalc problem but i posted this on the calc homework help because i thought maybe some of my earlier steps were wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong with your work.

The equation you're trying to solve can be simplified to 2x arctan(x) = 1. I don't know of any ways to get analytic solutions to this equation, but approximation techniques yield solutions at [itex]x \approx \pm 0.765379[/itex], according to WolframAlpha. From the graph here, you can say that 1 - 2xarctan(x) < 0 for all x > 1, hence the derivative you've found is negative for x > 1.

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    yeah i tried wolfram alpha, but it didnt show any steps on how to solve that equation, was looking for an analytic solution but this will have to do
    thanks mark44

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook