Using the Suns gravity for propulsion

In summary, using the sun to increase the velocity of a craft is possible, but it requires a human pilot and the use of RF signals to control the craft.
Scaledriver
Is it possible to use the sun to slingshot vehicles in order to achieve higher velocities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Higher velocities relative to what? And starting from what?

Orodruin said:
Higher velocities relative to what? And starting from what?

Relative to the Suns position starting from earth.

You can never do a slingshot relative to an astronomical body itself. The entire idea behind a slingshot is that the relative velocity between the slingshotting object and the slingshotted object is maintained (after the objects have become well separated). You can do slingshots using planets because they are moving relative to the Sun.

Likes Scaledriver
I was curious if a parabolic course through the Suns gravity would produce any increase of velocity.

It does, of course, increase the velocity close to the Sun, but this has to do with how gravity works and the loss of potential energy, not with slingshotting. By conservation of energy (and ignoring other astronomical bodies) you will have the same velocity as your original velocity when you reach the radius you started at.

Likes Scaledriver
The Earth is moving very fast relative to the sun. So initial velocity is high. Why can't that be used as a base to then vector off the Suns gravity and change that potential to a chosen vector?

The Earth gives us the speed, the sun can be used to change the direction of the velocity.

Scaledriver said:
Why can't that be used as a base to then vector off the Suns gravity and change that potential to a chosen vector?
It is unclear what you mean by this. Yes, the initial velocity relative to the Sun is high. It will still be high when something (like the Earth) returns to the same radius, but it is not a slingshot effect. The slingshot effect is using a large moving object to increase the velocity of a smaller object relative to the frame in which the large object is moving.

Likes Scaledriver
I apologize I can envision this I just need to run some computer modeling to see the effects.

Thank you for your input.

Compiling and running simulation. I'll let you know if it works.

The "ship". Doesn't even need to have very much propulsion. Most is used for course correction. Human pilot is going to be needed though rf signals wouldn't be able to reach the area I'm going.

This changes all my theories. Using this new data I can build a fully electric space vehicle. Solar powered.

Scaledriver said:
This changes all my theories. Using this new data I can build a fully electric space vehicle. Solar powered.

And, because you can also use the rotation of the Earth in the same manner I can take off from Earth and circle the sun and land again. if the craft is light enough. Which is possible with the current materials.

six months with no gravity would be an issue. Need to recalculate.

Please note that Physics Forums is not a place for personal theories. The original question has been answered and the answer is "no". This thread is therefore closed.

1. How does using the sun's gravity for propulsion work?

Using the sun's gravity for propulsion involves utilizing the gravitational pull of the sun to accelerate a spacecraft or object. This is achieved by positioning the spacecraft or object in the correct trajectory and using the gravity to slingshot it in the desired direction.

2. Is it possible to use the sun's gravity for propulsion?

Yes, it is possible to use the sun's gravity for propulsion. This technique, known as a gravity assist or slingshot maneuver, has been successfully used by spacecrafts such as NASA's Voyager 1 and 2, and the European Space Agency's Rosetta mission.

3. What are the advantages of using the sun's gravity for propulsion?

One of the main advantages of using the sun's gravity for propulsion is that it allows spacecrafts to conserve fuel and travel greater distances. This is especially useful for long-distance missions to outer planets or other solar systems.

4. Are there any risks or complications involved in using the sun's gravity for propulsion?

While using the sun's gravity for propulsion is generally considered safe and reliable, there are some risks and complications that should be taken into consideration. These include the precise calculations and timing needed for a successful maneuver, potential damage to the spacecraft from intense solar radiation, and the possibility of collisions with other objects in the sun's gravitational field.

5. Can the sun's gravity be used for propulsion for all types of spacecrafts?

The use of the sun's gravity for propulsion is most effective for spacecrafts that are traveling through the inner solar system. This is because the sun's gravitational pull is stronger in closer proximity. However, with precise calculations and planning, it can also be used for spacecrafts traveling to outer planets and beyond.