Using Triple integrals to solve torque around a point.

In summary, the coffee cup has a total mass of water that is acting at its geometric center. The torque at the handle is due to the force of gravity and is 2 cm away from the edge of the cup and 5 cm up from the bottom of the cup.
BSJ90

Homework Statement

A cylindrical coffee cup (8 cm in diameter and 10 cm tall) is filled to the brim
with coffee. Neglecting the weight of the cup, determine the torque at the handle
(2 cm from edge of cup 5 cm up from bottom of cup).

The easy way would be to just use the center of mass of the cup but that isn't the way its told to be done. So triple integrals it is.

density of water(ρ) = 1g/cm3

Homework Equations

T = r x F

if R is from

The Attempt at a Solution

So to set up my coordinate's I put the origin in the center of the cylinder with x going out of the page y to the right and z up.T = r x F
= r x mFg (Fg = force of gravity)
dT = r x dmFg (dm = ρdxdydz)

[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] |r|ρgdzdydx

I think (tell me if I'm wrong) the bounds of the first integral (from left to right):
-4 to 4, -[itex]\sqrt{}[/itex]4-x2 to [itex]\sqrt{}[/itex]4-x2, -5 to 5.

but where I'm having problem is finding an equation that relates r ( the vector from the handle to the cup) for each dm. If someone could help me out that would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have to integrate anything (but then I have been drinking). You are told to ignore the mass of the cup. Assume the total mass of the water acts at it geometric center.

Torque = r X F = [8/2 +2]*m*g where m = ρ*V

??

BSJ90 said:
T = r x F
= r x mFg (Fg = force of gravity)
dT = r x dmFg (dm = ρdxdydz)

The force of gravity is mg. Do not multiply with the mass again.

BSJ90 said:
[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] |r|ρgdzdydx

As g is vertical (parallel to the z axis), the vector product [itex]\vec r \times dm \vec{g} = -g (y \hat x -x \hat y)dm[/itex]

ehild

Now how am I supposed to work with that. It makes sense but now I'm integrating a vector field and the only thing i can think to do is take the magnitude of that. Shouldn't it be different because the of symmetry.

Plus i tried taking the magnitude of that field and it was not fun by the time i had to do the second integral.

Last edited:
The torque is a vector, has both x and y components, depending on the orientation of the coordinate system. You can find its magnitude after having the components, but the magnitudes do not add.

ehild

So how would i go about solving the problem from this point on. I mean i get a torque vector and obviously there is an answer (0.296 N * m) but I don't see how we can get from the vector field to this answer.

How do you set up your coordinate system? Show a picture. How do you calculate the torque vector and what is the result? If you have the torgue vector with components Tx, Ty, the magnitude is sqrt(Tx2+Ty2).

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, and is denoted by ∭(f(x,y,z)) dV.

2. How is a triple integral used to solve torque around a point?

By using the concept of moments, which is the product of a force and its distance from a point, triple integrals can be used to calculate the torque around a point. The integral takes into account the forces acting on the object and their respective distances from the point, giving the net torque around that point.

3. What are the steps involved in solving torque using triple integrals?

The first step is to define the region in which the object is located. Then, the function representing the force acting on the object at each point in that region is determined. The triple integral is then set up with the function and the region as the bounds. Finally, the integral is solved to obtain the torque around the given point.

4. Can triple integrals be used to calculate torque around any point?

Yes, triple integrals can be used to calculate torque around any point as long as the object and the forces acting on it are located within a three-dimensional region. The integral will take into account all the forces and their respective distances from the given point.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using triple integrals to solve torque?

Yes, triple integrals are used in various engineering and physics fields to calculate torque and other important quantities. For example, in mechanical engineering, they are used to analyze the stability and motion of structures such as bridges and buildings. In physics, they are used to calculate the rotational motion of objects and systems.