1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using u substitution, which of the following is equivalent to this integral?

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the u substutituion u = 2x + 1, ∫(2x + 1)1/2dx (when x goes from 0 to 2) is equivalent to?

Answer: (1/2)*∫(u)1/2du (when x goes from 1 to 5)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If u is 2x + 1, then du = 2dx. Thus, I get

(1/2)*∫(u)1/2du (when x goes from 0 to 2)​

The only problem is where did the x goes from 1 to 5 come from? Did I do something wrong, or is the AP packet wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    For a question like this, when you use substitution to solve a definite integral and have it in a form with u in it, you need to have the two limits in terms of u as well, not x.

So in this example, the limits are 0 to 2 and you know that u = 2x + 1. Just substitute in x = 0 and x = 2, and it gives you the new limits of 1 and 5.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. May 3, 2010 #3
    Oh, yes, you are right. I forgot that in order for my answer to be right, it had to be (1/2)*∫(2x + 1)1/2du (when x goes from 0 to 2).

Thanks!

5. May 3, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That should be (1/2)*∫(2x + 1)1/2dx.

It's not necessary to change the limits of integration when you do a substitution. You can work with the indefinite integral, make the substitution, get your antiderivative, undo your substitution, and then evaluate your antiderivative at the original limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook