Using upper and lower sums to approximate the area.

• Thread starter Phyzwizz
  • Start date
Never Mind

I answered my own question two minutes after posting it. I don't know how to take this question down so I just deleted it.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I was absent the day our class covered these and so I am struggling to figure out to do this problem.

Use upper and lower sums to approximate the area of the region using the indicated number of subintervals (of equal length).
y=√x the domain is [0,1] with 4 sub intervals of 1/4

I tried looking at how the book did the problem but I keep getting stuck in this problem on the part where you have to take the sum of the square root of i. Is there a way around this because I was never taught any sort of equation to use in order to do that.
Forget about i, which is used in more general presentations. Your interval [0, 1] is divided into four equal subintervals, each of length 1/4. For an upper sum or a lower sum, you need to find the area of four rectangles of width 1/4 and height, the square root of one of the subinterval endpoints.

Draw a sketch if you haven't already done so. In fact, draw two sketches, one for your lower sum and one for your upper sum.