Using vehicle 12v to power several 5v devices

In summary, using a vehicle's 12v power supply to power multiple 5v devices is possible by using a voltage regulator or a DC-DC converter. The voltage regulator helps to stabilize the fluctuating voltage from the vehicle's battery while the DC-DC converter steps down the voltage to the appropriate level for the 5v devices. This allows for convenient and efficient use of a vehicle's power source to charge or operate various electronic devices while on the go. It is important to ensure that the power draw from the 5v devices does not exceed the capacity of the vehicle's 12v supply to avoid draining the battery.
JimmyRolland
I need to power three 5 volt devices off a vehicle 12 volt axillary power. Each device draws 1.5A, 500 mA, and 750 mA. Would the vehicle 12 volt axillary power provide enough current for this? If so, what parts and configuration would I need to accomplish this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes - you can draw many amps of power, so long as you use a fuse in the right range.

The part you are looking for is a voltage regulator. Make sure it's rated for something like 3-5A, and input of up to 17V (voltage is fairly unreliable from a car's electrical system).

Something like this might work: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=576-1121-ND. You will need a heatsink to dissipate the heat!

1. Can I use a 12v vehicle outlet to power multiple 5v devices?

Yes, you can use a 12v vehicle outlet to power multiple 5v devices. However, you will need to use a voltage converter or regulator to step down the 12v to 5v for each device.

2. How many 5v devices can I power with a 12v vehicle outlet?

The number of 5v devices that can be powered by a 12v vehicle outlet will depend on the output current of the outlet and the power consumption of each device. It is important to calculate the total power consumption and make sure it does not exceed the maximum output of the outlet.

3. Can I use a USB adapter to power my 5v devices from a 12v vehicle outlet?

Yes, you can use a USB adapter to power your 5v devices from a 12v vehicle outlet. The USB adapter will convert the 12v to 5v for your devices and is a convenient option for charging multiple devices at once.

4. Is it safe to power 5v devices from a 12v vehicle outlet?

If the correct voltage converter or regulator is used, it is safe to power 5v devices from a 12v vehicle outlet. It is important to make sure the total power consumption does not exceed the maximum output of the outlet to avoid damaging the devices or the outlet.

5. Can I power high-power 5v devices from a 12v vehicle outlet?

It is not recommended to power high-power 5v devices from a 12v vehicle outlet. The outlet may not be able to provide enough power to support these devices. It is best to use a dedicated power source for high-power devices to avoid any potential damage.