Using what Liquid gas to cool TYPE I Superconductors?

In summary: Liquid nitrogen is not suitable for cooling Type I (Lead/Aluminum) superconductors as it boils at 77K and only decreases a few K when pumped, making it solid. Additionally, liquid helium is also not suitable for cooling aluminum as it requires more elaborate methods such as pumping on He-3 or using adiabatic demagnetization cooling. In summary, the best option for cooling Type I superconductors is to use liquid helium.
Wiz700
So,

Liquid Nitrogen or Liquid Helium to cool Type I(Lead/Aluminum) superconductor?
I know its best to use Liquid Helium, but can I use Liquid Nitrogen and go below the BC of those materials?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because liquid nitrogen boils at 77K, and even if you pump on it the temperature will only go down a few K before it goes solid (I can't remember the exact temperature, 68K or so at 1 Bar?)

Hence, liquid nitrogen only works for high-Tc superconductors, and they are all type II.

Also, for aluminium you can't even use liquid helium (bulk Tc=1.2K), you need something more elaborate; you need to e.g. pump on He-3 (or He-3/He-4 mixtures) or use adibatic demagnetization cooling.

f95toli said:
No, because liquid nitrogen boils at 77K, and even if you pump on it the temperature will only go down a few K before it goes solid (I can't remember the exact temperature, 68K or so at 1 Bar?)

Hence, liquid nitrogen only works for high-Tc superconductors, and they are all type II.

Also, for aluminium you can't even use liquid helium (bulk Tc=1.2K), you need something more elaborate; you need to e.g. pump on He-3 (or He-3/He-4 mixtures) or use adibatic demagnetization cooling.
Hence, another reason why people prefer Type II superconductors.

1. What is the best liquid gas to use for cooling TYPE I superconductors?

The most commonly used liquid gas for cooling TYPE I superconductors is liquid helium. It has a boiling point of -452.1°F (-269.5°C) which is close to absolute zero, making it ideal for achieving the extremely low temperatures required for superconductivity.

2. How does liquid helium cool TYPE I superconductors?

Liquid helium is able to cool TYPE I superconductors by absorbing heat from the superconductor material, causing it to reach its critical temperature and enter a state of superconductivity. The low temperature also helps to reduce any resistance in the material, allowing for the flow of electricity without loss.

3. Are there any safety concerns when working with liquid helium?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when handling liquid helium. It is extremely cold and can cause frostbite if it comes into contact with skin. It is also a highly volatile gas, and proper precautions must be taken to prevent explosions or asphyxiation. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and handle liquid helium with caution.

4. Can other liquid gases be used to cool TYPE I superconductors?

While liquid helium is the most commonly used liquid gas for cooling TYPE I superconductors, other gases such as liquid nitrogen and liquid hydrogen can also be used. However, these gases have higher boiling points and may not be able to achieve the same low temperatures as liquid helium.

5. What are the disadvantages of using liquid helium to cool TYPE I superconductors?

The main disadvantage of using liquid helium is its high cost. It is a rare and expensive gas, making it difficult to obtain and use in large quantities. Additionally, liquid helium requires specialized equipment and handling procedures, adding to the overall cost of using it as a cooling agent for TYPE I superconductors.