Using Y to Delta Transformation to Find Currents

In summary, the current divider rule doesn't always apply to circuits with multiple resistors in parallel.
rugerts
Homework Statement
Use a Y-to-Δ transformation to find the unknown quantities for the circuit.
Find:
1) io
2) i1
3) i2
4) power delivered by ideal voltage source
Relevant Equations
Shown below are the equations for delta to y transformations and vice verse. Also the current divider equation and Ohm's law.
1569877397367.png
1569877526289.png

Can someone explain why I can't simply use a current divider once I've found the equivalent resistance and source current for the entire circuit? This would look like i0 = 0.044*(113.53/210). Req = 113.53.

If it helps, the correct answers appear to be: i0 = 8.28 mA, i1 = 23.6 mA, i2 = 35.8 mA, P = 0.220 W.

Physics news on Phys.org
The logic is: if you have a current divider circuit, then I = I_total (R/Req).

You don't have a current divider, so the formula doesn't apply.

You might try finding the Norton equivalent of the circuit connected to the 210-ohm resistor. You would then have a current divider. You'll find I_nort is not equal to the source current you calculated, and Rth is nowhere near Req.

vela said:
The logic is: if you have a current divider circuit, then I = I_total (R/Req).

You don't have a current divider, so the formula doesn't apply.

You might try finding the Norton equivalent of the circuit connected to the 210-ohm resistor. You would then have a current divider. You'll find I_nort is not equal to the source current you calculated, and Rth is nowhere near Req.
Why don't I have a current divider for 210 ohm resistor? It is, after all, in parallel. And parallel circuits divide current up?

In parallel with what?

vela said:
In parallel with what?
40 and 20

It doesn't really make sense to say the 210-ohm resistor is in parallel with the 40-ohm and 20-ohm combination as those two resistors can't be combined into one element because of the 50-ohm resistor connected to the node in between them.

Anyway, the current divider rule applies to a specific configuration of resistors, and you simply don't have that here.

vela said:
It doesn't really make sense to say the 210-ohm resistor is in parallel with the 40-ohm and 20-ohm combination as those two resistors can't be combined into one element because of the 50-ohm resistor connected to the node in between them.

Anyway, the current divider rule applies to a specific configuration of resistors, and you simply don't have that here.
Ok. I thought current divider works for parallel configurations because parallel configurations divide up current. Would a current divider then work for something more along these lines?
1570406505347.png

1. What is the purpose of a Y to Delta transformation?

The purpose of a Y to Delta transformation is to simplify a circuit containing resistors that are connected in a Y configuration into an equivalent Delta configuration. This allows for easier analysis of the circuit and can help in finding the currents flowing through different branches.

2. How is the Y to Delta transformation performed?

The Y to Delta transformation is performed by first identifying the resistors connected in a Y configuration and then using a set of equations to calculate the equivalent resistances for the Delta configuration. These equations involve the use of the resistors' values and their connections in the Y configuration.

3. When should I use a Y to Delta transformation?

A Y to Delta transformation is useful when analyzing circuits containing resistors in Y configuration becomes complicated and time-consuming. Using this transformation can simplify the circuit and make it easier to find the currents flowing through different branches, especially for circuits with more than three resistors in a Y configuration.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Y to Delta transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Y to Delta transformation. This transformation is only applicable to circuits with resistors connected in a Y configuration. It cannot be used for circuits with other types of elements, such as capacitors or inductors. Additionally, the transformation may introduce some errors in the final results due to the rounding of values during the calculation process.

5. What are the advantages of using a Y to Delta transformation?

The main advantage of using a Y to Delta transformation is that it simplifies the circuit and makes it easier to analyze. It can also help in reducing the number of equations that need to be solved, which saves time and effort. Additionally, the results obtained from the transformation are equivalent to the original circuit, so the same conclusions can be drawn from both configurations.