Simplifying Complex Circuits: Using Delta to Y Transformation

• Thread starter jisbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Delta to Y transformation in solving a problem involving resistors. The person is unsure if this method can be used and is looking for any clues to solve the problem. It is suggested to simplify the circuit and redraw it for better understanding. The user @gneill offers a solution by finding the resistance between nodes e and cf.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Find resistance across a and b terminal
Relevant Equations
-
1597371173219.png

Not sure what I can do to proceed on here: Should I be using the Delta to Y transformation? Wouldn't be able to simplify using simple series and parallel circuits, and hence am looking for any clues I might need to solve this problem.
PS: ForDelta to Y transformation, it seems that the 10 and 8 ohm resistor seems to be preventing me from doing this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Points c and f are connected by a wire, hence are in reality the same node. Does that suggest a way forward?

Likes etotheipi
Maybe you can solve it like this (In China we called it Current distribution method )
IMG_20200814_114359.jpg

jisbon said:
Homework Statement:: Find resistance across a and b terminal
Relevant Equations:: -

Wouldn't be able to simplify using simple series and parallel circuits
Yes, I think you can. The most difficult problem here is that the schematic is drawn in a confusing way. Redraw it so it makes more sense to you.

@gneill has given you a way forward, pursue that. For example what is the resistance between node e and node cf?

1. What is "Resistance across a and b"?

Resistance across a and b refers to the measurement of electrical resistance between two points, a and b, in a circuit. It is a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through that particular path in the circuit.

2. How is resistance across a and b calculated?

Resistance across a and b is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be expressed as R = V/I. The unit of measurement for resistance is Ohms (Ω).

3. What factors affect resistance across a and b?

The factors that affect resistance across a and b include the type of material the circuit is made of, the length and thickness of the wire, and the temperature of the circuit. Generally, longer and thinner wires have higher resistance, while thicker wires have lower resistance. Additionally, some materials are better conductors of electricity than others, so they will have lower resistance.

4. Why is resistance across a and b important?

Resistance across a and b is important because it helps us understand and control the flow of electricity in a circuit. By measuring resistance, we can determine the efficiency of a circuit and make adjustments to improve its performance. Resistance also plays a crucial role in safety, as high resistance can lead to overheating and potential hazards.

5. What are some common units of measurement for resistance?

The most common units of measurement for resistance are Ohms (Ω), kilo-Ohms (kΩ), and mega-Ohms (MΩ). These units are used to express different levels of resistance, with Ohms being the smallest unit and mega-Ohms being the largest. Other units, such as milli-Ohms (mΩ) and micro-Ohms (μΩ), may also be used for extremely low resistance values.