Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum created or suction created when we use peristaltic pump

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1
    Hi All,

How to find vacuum created or suction created when we use peristaltic pump?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi and welcome.
    If you want an answer to this then we need to know a bit more context for your question, I think. I would just make the point that there is strictly no such thing as 'suck'. Fluids move because of excess pressure on one side, which pushes them. A peristaltic pump has an essentially 'floppy' tube which is squeezed (a positive pressure is applied) in parts to force a fluid along it. If the fluid in the tube is squeezed along the tube and the tube is then collapsed, then new fluid would only be forced in by the pressure difference in the upstream reservoir and the inside of the floppy tube. It the tube has walls that naturally (passively) spring back to shape, then you might expect a small pressure difference. A vacuum pump provides a force from a piston to produce a very low pressure in the pump - lower than the pressure in the evacuated reservoir.

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3
    Hi,
    i just wanted to know how much pressure creates when we use peristaltic pump by using peristaltic pump flow rate and dia of the tube.how much pressure it creates at the end of the tube .if there is no water then a how much vacuum can be created using the same.THANK YOU

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Short answer: very little.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted