I Need advice on vacuum / suction experiment

• Thread starter Blackie
  • Start date
Summary
Vacuum pump help
Summary: Vacuum pump help

I need advice on what type of vacuum pump would create max negative pressure in a very small area ( a space no larger than your pinky finger I guess) ? Maybe some kinda high suction low cfm pump? I dont know enough about vacuum pumps to know which type to use for my application. And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Peristaltic pump (roller pump). Cheap diaphragm pumps also works fine for low airflow, high suction pressure applications.
P.S. Never apply suction port on a body parts. Injury is guaranteed if applied.

Ok, I've not researched that particular pump... I'm trying to achieve an insine amount of vacuum. Kinda like if you poked a small hole in a space ship. The amount of force focused near the hole... will a roller pump achieve that kinda pressure in a small area? Alot of the roller pumps I've seen look like they are for medical applications...... and more advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman

Mentor
Is that a typo?

Also, can you say what the application is? That will help us to make the best suggestions for you. :smile:

russ_watters

Mentor
How about a syringe?
I'm trying to achieve an insine amount of vacuum.
The maximum amount of vacuum in air is 14.7psi, and it isn't difficult to get pretty close to it.

Last edited:

jrmichler

Science Advisor

berkeman

Mentor
I used that same vacuum pump with an Edmunds Bell jar for a number of experiments. Plus, I used it to bleed my sportbike brakes for years. A great investment! :smile:

As long as we're at harbor freight... They also sell an eductor-based 'vacuum pump' - I think they intend it for HVAC system evacuation. Feed it compressed air, and it creates a vacuum. Cheap, simple, and continuous (if you have compressed air).