Air Flow Through Dual Spouts on Laid Down Jug

In summary, the jug with the 1/2 inch spout would have air enter through the spout on the bottom, while the jug with the other 1/2 inch spout would have 100% of the air come from the other spout.
If you have a five gallon jug of water with a 1/2 inch spout, and it is laid on its side, because there is no other opening in the jug it empties as air spills into the spout and replaces the water, but if the jug would have another 1/2 inch spout on it, now on top of the laid down jug,
Would any of the air still enter through the first spout or would 100% of it now come from the other spout, although probably a simple answer, I'm unsure because I've never took a physics class, but I would assume that 100% would now come from the other opening.

Physics news on Phys.org
The air outside the jug would be pressing on both spouts,
about the same pressure. But the water would (when deep)
would be going so fast out the exit hole (over 1 m/s)
that "essentially none" of the air would diffuse upstream,
until the jug was almost empty.

try it, with food coloring in the exit stream -
especially right next to the wall of the spout. Air isn't much faster.

what if this changed?

If the secondary spout on top had a resevoir of water pressing down on it, would the sucking in of this water hold back the air from going into the first spout?

If there's a hole in the top, the pressure at the bottom of the jug (at the first spout) no longer decreases rapidly as the water leaves (since there's never a vacuum made at the top). So the water just flows smoothly out, provided the hole in the top is big enough. (Eventually, if it's air coming in the top, the speed of water flow out the spout will slow, since the water depth decreases.)

thanx to lightgrav

I originally posted in as 2112 because I couldn't access my account, thanks for the solutions.

1. How does the air flow through dual spouts on a laid down jug work?

The air flow through dual spouts on a laid down jug works by creating a pressure difference between the two spouts. This pressure difference allows air to enter one spout and exit the other, causing a continuous flow of air through the jug.

2. Can the air flow through dual spouts on a laid down jug be controlled?

Yes, the air flow through dual spouts on a laid down jug can be controlled by adjusting the angle and position of the jug. Tilting the jug at different angles can change the pressure difference and therefore alter the air flow.

3. What is the purpose of having dual spouts on a laid down jug?

The purpose of having dual spouts on a laid down jug is to allow for easy pouring and ventilation. The dual spouts create a smooth and consistent flow of air, making it easier to pour liquids without any spills or splashes. The ventilation also helps to prevent the jug from becoming too pressurized, which could lead to spills or leaks.

4. Can the air flow through dual spouts on a laid down jug affect the taste of the liquid inside?

In most cases, the air flow through dual spouts on a laid down jug will not affect the taste of the liquid inside. However, if the liquid is highly sensitive to oxygen exposure, the continuous flow of air may cause some slight changes in taste over time. It is best to store sensitive liquids in an airtight container.

5. Is it safe to leave a laid down jug with dual spouts open for extended periods of time?

It is generally safe to leave a laid down jug with dual spouts open for extended periods of time. However, if the liquid inside is highly sensitive to oxygen exposure, it is best to keep the jug closed when not in use to prevent any potential changes in taste. Additionally, make sure to properly clean and dry the spouts before and after use to prevent any build-up of bacteria or mold.