1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Values of M so 2 curves don't intersect.

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1

trollcast

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 curves f(x) and g(x) don't intersect, find the range of values of m can be.

2. Relevant equations
    $$f(x)=3x^2 - 2$$
    $$g(x) = mx-5$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Could I work out the 2 values for m that mean g(x) is a tangent to f(x) at some point and then the range will be between them?

PS. I've already solved it via another approach but I was just wondering if this would work as it was my first initial idea on solving it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track, the limiting values for m making the g(x) line a tangent to f(x) is correct.

have you plotted 3x^2 - 2 ? that would give you a hint of what the values of m are.

for g(x) you know one one point for certain: the y-intercept

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3

trollcast

Gold Member

I tried it again and I must have made a mistake when I tried this the first time as I definitely didn't get this.

For g(x) to be a tangent of f(x) their gradients must be the same:
    $$f'(x)=6x \\
    g(x)=6x(x)-5 \\
    g(x)=6x^2-5$$

And they also must intersect eachother:$$
    f(x)=g(x)\\
    3x^2-2=6x^2-5\\
    3x^2-3=0\\
    x^2-1=0\\
    x^2=1\\
    x=\pm1$$
    Then just work out the values of m for the values of x:$$
    m=f'(x)\\
    m=6x\\
    m=6(\pm1)\\
    m=\pm6\\

-6<m<6$$

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

and you can check this by plotting the two lines and the original f(x).

6. Jan 11, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure you should focus on the slope. The two graphs will intersect when [itex]3x^2- 2= mx- 5[/itex] which is the same as [itex]3x^2- mx+ 3= 0[/itex].

The "discriminant" of that is [tex](-m)^2- 4(3)(3)= m^2- 36= 0[/tex]. That is a parabola that is negative for x between -6 and 6. Since a quadratic equation has no real solutions if the discriminant is negative, the graphs do not intersect for m between -6 and 6.

7. Jan 11, 2013 #6

trollcast

Gold Member

Thanks,

That was the method I used in class to solve it after I tried working out the tangents but made a mistake copying something.

Is there any advantage to that method, ie. would the tangents not work for some similar problems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook