1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vandergraph generators and hair

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    1. WHy does hair stand up when touching a vandergraph generator ,i know that negative charges repel other negative charges

3. is it the fact the hairs are negatively charged so repel each other or is it the electrons releasing into the air
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

A similar experiment involves charging up two pieces of metal foil that are suspended adjacent to each other in a vacuum jar. When charged up with static electricity (both foils get an excess of electrons), the foil pieces repel each other. Why is that?
  4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    so it is not going in to the air and suggest highly of repusion because of negative because of electrons

i still dont know , if i dont need it for homework or school i was just curious
    would still like to know
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4
    If electrons were being released into the air you would probably be able to see them as sparks. Yes, you are right--each strand of hair has an excess of electrons and the excess negative charge on every hair causes the hairs to repel one another! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?