1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Varation of Parameters fun diff EQ question, where do i go next?

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
    Varation of Parameters fun!! diff EQ question, where do i go next?

This is my first attempt at doing Variation of parameters, didn't go to bad, things cancled out pretty well but now i'm almost done but i'm stuck!
    The problem says: Find the solution of y''+15y'+56y = 54*e^(-5t), with y(0) = 8, and y'(0) = 2, y = ?

Here is my work:

If you don't follow me or see an error right off the bat, please let me know! Thanks! :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now integrate u1= -54e3t and u2'= 54e2t to find u1 and u2 of course! Once you know those put them into "u1e-8t+ u2e-7t to get a "specific solution" and add that to the general solution of the homogenous equation.
  4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    ahh thanks Ivey, i'm alittle confused on what u mean when u said add it to the homogenous equation, the orginal equation wasn't homogenous was set equal to 54e^(-5t), are you saying add it to the r^2+15r+56 = 0? Thanks here is what i got now:
  5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that's pretty much the whole idea! If [itex] y(t)= C_1e^{-8t}+ C_2e^{-7t}[/itex] is the general solution to y"+ 15y'+ 56y= 0 and [itex]y(t)= 9e^{-5t}[/itex] satisfies y"+ 15y'+ 56y= 54e-5t, then
    The general solution to y"+ 15y'+56y= 54e-5t is
    [itex]y(t)= C_1e^{-8t}+ C_2e^{-7t}+ 9e^{-5t}[/itex].
  6. Feb 18, 2006 #5
    Thanks again Ivey!
    I don't know if its right because webhw is still down, yay!
    but this is what I got:
  7. Feb 18, 2006 #6
    I personally think it's easier to solve it like this: First, as usual, you solve the homogeneous equation which is basically setting the right hand side (RHS) to zero, i.e. [itex]y"+ 15y'+56y=0[/itex]. This will give you [itex]y_{h}(t)=C_1e^{-8t}+ C_2e^{-7t}[/itex]. Next you solve the "special" or "particular" equation by making an ansatz (educated guess) depending on what expression you have on the RHS. In this case I would choose the ansatz [itex]y_{p}(t)=Ae^{-5t}[/itex]. Differentiate this and insert into the original equation gives you a value on A. The total solution is simply [itex]y=y_{h}+y_{p}[/itex]. And then use your initial conditions to get the values of [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex].

Sound complicated, but that's how I used to solve these things. :smile:

And yes, I too got [itex]C_1=-40[/itex] and [itex]C_2=39[/itex].
  8. Feb 19, 2006 #7
    i like ur method alot better! But how did you make an educational guess of [itex]y_{p}(t)=Ae^{-5t}[/itex] ? I understand why u would guess an e^(t) but how did u konw it should be e^(-5t)? Thanks!
  9. Feb 19, 2006 #8
    You can find out more about that method if you look up 'method of undetermined coefficients.' I find that reduction of order is generally faster because you don't need to memorise specific forms for certain situations.
  10. Feb 19, 2006 #9
    I made the ansatz [itex]y_{p}(t)=Ae^{-5t}[/itex] because the the RHS of the original equation had the exponential term [itex]e^{-5t}[/itex]. More generally, I could have chosen the ansatz [itex]y_{p}(t)=Ae^{-5t}+Be^{+5t}[/itex] but the second term is redundant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?