Variable Resistor connected to parallel resistors

In summary, we have an electric circuit with a variable resistor, R3, which has a value of 25Ω and a current of 2A flowing into the power supply. When R3 is changed to a value of 5Ω, a current of 1A flows into resistance R2. We are asked to find the value of the parallel combined resistance of R1 and R2, the value of R2, and the electric power consumed by R1 when R3 is 25Ω. By using the equations V=IR and R parallel combined = (R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2), we can determine that the parallel combination of R1 and R2 has a resistance
ordem

Homework Statement

In the electric circuit shown in the figure, when the value of the variable resistor R3 is 25Ω, the current which flows into the power supply is 2A. Moreover, when the value of the variable resistor R3 is 5Ω a current of 1A flows into the resistance R2.
der879.gif

Q1.Find the value of parallel combined resistance of resistance R1 and R2,
Q2.Find the value of R2,
Q3.When the resistance R3 is 25Ω how much electric power is consumed by resistance R1

Homework Equations

V=IR
R parallel combined =( R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

from the first given information i know that the volt at R3 is 50 then the volt at combined resistance is 30 then I tried various equations but then I stuck ,please help me this is the first time I met a physics problem with variable resistor, what is it really?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ordem said:
from the first given information i know that the volt at R3 is 50 then the volt at combined resistance is 30 then I tried various equations but then I stuck

Hi ordem. Welcome to Physics Forums.

In addition to carrying 30 volts, you also know that the current through the parallel combination is 2 amps. Can you now determine the resistance of that parallel combination? :wink:

A variable resistor is one whose resistance can be set to a different value.

OH MY GOD, thank you so much for the answer, as soon as I read what you wrote, I feel so stupid, now I know all the answers , i don't know what hit my head before, haha, thanks again

1. What is a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors?

A variable resistor connected to parallel resistors is a circuit configuration where a variable resistor (also known as a potentiometer) is connected in parallel with other fixed resistors. This allows for the resistance in the circuit to be adjusted by changing the position of the potentiometer's wiper.

2. How does a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors affect the total resistance in a circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit with a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors is decreased as the resistance of the potentiometer decreases. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, and the potentiometer provides a lower resistance path.

3. What is the purpose of using a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors?

The purpose of using a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors is to have the ability to adjust the overall resistance in a circuit. This is useful in situations where precise control of the current or voltage is needed, such as in electronic devices or experiments.

4. How is the position of the wiper on a variable resistor determined in a circuit with parallel resistors?

The position of the wiper on a variable resistor in a circuit with parallel resistors is determined by the desired resistance in the circuit. The wiper can be moved along the resistive element of the potentiometer to achieve the desired resistance value, which will affect the overall resistance in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors?

One limitation of using a variable resistor connected to parallel resistors is that it may introduce additional noise into the circuit. This is because the wiper of the potentiometer may not make a perfect electrical connection with the resistive element, causing fluctuations in the resistance. Additionally, the potentiometer may have a limited range of resistance, so it may not be suitable for all circuit configurations.