Variable Set Distribution - Buckingham Pi Theorum

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of sets of variables through the use of matrix products. The number of sets can be determined using the binomial formula, and the conversation includes two examples for distributing 4 variables in 3 ways and 2 ways. The individual sets are then listed and the question is posed whether a matrix product can be used to create the sets. The conversation concludes with a reference to a webpage for further information.
SSGD
Background:

I am trying to write a program for Buckingham Pi Groups. I need to find a way to list all the input varialbes as different sets.

For example if I have 4 variables [V D p u] and I want to distribute them 3 ways I get 4 sets.

Number of Sets = Binomial(Number of Variables, Variables per Set) = Binomial(4, 3) = 4
Set1 = [V D p]
Set2 = [V D u]
Set3 = [V p u]
Set4 = [D p u]

For example if I have 4 variables [V D p u] and I want to distribute them 2 ways I get 6 sets.

Number of Sets = Binomial(Number of Variables, Variables per Set) = Binomial(4, 2) = 6
Set1 = [V D]
Set2 = [V p]
Set3 = [V u]
Set4 = [D p]
Set5 = [D u]
Set6= [p u]

Can the different Sets be created by a matrix product?

[V D p u]x(4xN)=(1xN)

First Example
(1x4)x(4x3)=(1x3)
or
(4x4)x(4x3)=(4x3)

Second Example
(1x4)x(4x2)=(1x2)
or
(6x4)x(4x2)=(6x2)Is anyone familiar with this kind of manipulation of Sets of Variables. I need help with the math or programming that can solve for the different sets. I have experience with matrix math and programming, but I just can't figure this problem out.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Variable Set Distribution - Buckingham Pi Theorem?

The Variable Set Distribution - Buckingham Pi Theorem is a mathematical principle that allows for the reduction of the number of variables in a physical problem. It states that if a physical problem involves a certain number of variables, it can be rewritten in terms of a smaller number of dimensionless parameters.

What is the significance of the Buckingham Pi Theorem in science?

The Buckingham Pi Theorem is significant in science because it allows for the simplification of complex physical problems. By reducing the number of variables, it makes it easier to analyze and understand the underlying principles of the problem. It is particularly useful in fields such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and structural analysis.

How is the Buckingham Pi Theorem applied in scientific research?

The Buckingham Pi Theorem is applied in scientific research by identifying the relevant variables in a physical problem and grouping them into dimensionless parameters using the pi terms. These dimensionless parameters can then be used to create a non-dimensional representation of the problem, making it easier to analyze and interpret the results.

What are the limitations of the Buckingham Pi Theorem?

While the Buckingham Pi Theorem is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to problems that have a clear relationship between the variables, and it assumes that the variables are independent. It also cannot account for non-linear relationships between variables.

What are some real-world applications of the Buckingham Pi Theorem?

The Buckingham Pi Theorem has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include analyzing fluid flow in pipes, predicting drag forces on objects moving through a fluid, and determining the critical parameters for structural stability in buildings or bridges. It is also commonly used in experimental design and data analysis to identify the most important variables in a system.