Variance of binomial distribution - 1 trial

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of variance for a discrete variable and its relation to the expected value. The individual trials X_i are independent and have an expected value of p. However, the calculation of the variance leads to a contradiction with the expected value. This is because the assumption of independence was incorrect, as X_i is not independent in the calculation of \mathbb{E}[X_i^2]. The correct value for \mathbb{E}[X_i^2] is p, leading to the final conclusion that Var[X_i] = p - p^2 = p(1-p).
operationsres

Homework Statement

For n trials, [itex]S_n[/itex] can be seen as the sum of n independent single trials [itex]X_i[/itex], i = 1,2,...,n, with [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i][/itex]=p and Var[itex][X_i]=p(1-p)[/itex].2. What I don't understand

I don't understand why Var[itex][X_i]=p(1-p)[/itex].

We know that: Var[itex][X_i]=\mathbb{E}[(X_i - \mathbb{E}[X_i])^2] = \mathbb{E}[X_i^2 - 2X_i\mathbb{E}[X_i] + \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2] = \mathbb{E}[X_i^2] - \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2[/itex].

Taking [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i]^2[/itex], we have [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i]^2=p^2[/itex].

Taking [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i^2][/itex], we have [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i^2]=\mathbb{E}[\prod_{i=1}^2X_i] = \prod_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{E}[X_i] = \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2 = p^2[/itex].

So Var[itex][X_i]= p^2 - p^2 = 0 \not= p(1-p)[/itex], which contradicts what my lecture notes say.

Physics news on Phys.org
operationsres said:

Homework Statement

For n trials, [itex]S_n[/itex] can be seen as the sum of n independent single trials [itex]X_i[/itex], i = 1,2,...,n, with [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i][/itex]=p and Var[itex][X_i]=p(1-p)[/itex].

2. What I don't understand

I don't understand why Var[itex][X_i]=p(1-p)[/itex].

We know that: Var[itex][X_i]=\mathbb{E}[(X_i - \mathbb{E}[X_i])^2] = \mathbb{E}[X_i^2 - 2X_i\mathbb{E}[X_i] + \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2] = \mathbb{E}[X_i^2] - \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2[/itex].

Taking [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i]^2[/itex], we have [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i]^2=p^2[/itex].

Taking [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i^2][/itex], we have [itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i^2]=\mathbb{E}[\prod_{i=1}^2X_i] = \prod_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{E}[X_i] = \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2 = p^2[/itex].

So Var[itex][X_i]= p^2 - p^2 = 0 \not= p(1-p)[/itex], which contradicts what my lecture notes say.

No, [itex] E X_i^2 \neq p^2.[/itex] In fact, [itex]E f(X_i) = \sum_{k} P\{X_i = k\} f(k)[/itex] for any function f, so we get [itex] E X_i^2 = p.[/itex]

RGV

Enlightening post, thank you.

I guess my error was assuming that X_i was independent in:
[itex]\mathbb{E}[X_i^2]=\mathbb{E}[\prod_{i=1}^2X_i] = \prod_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{E}[X_i] = \mathbb{E}[X_i]^2 = p^2[/itex].?But they're the same event so that would be non-sensical...

Use the definition of variance of a discrete variable.

1. What is the formula for calculating the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial?

The formula for calculating the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial is σ² = np(1-p), where σ² is the variance, n is the number of trials, and p is the probability of success.

2. Why is the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial considered to be a special case?

The variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial is considered to be a special case because it is a discrete probability distribution with only two possible outcomes (success or failure) and a fixed number of trials (1). This makes the calculation of variance simpler compared to a binomial distribution with multiple trials.

3. How does the probability of success affect the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial?

The probability of success (p) has a direct impact on the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial. As the probability of success increases, the variance decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher probability of success results in a smaller spread of data points around the mean.

4. Can the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial be negative?

No, the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial cannot be negative. The variance is always a positive value as it represents the average squared deviation from the mean.

5. How is the variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial used in real-life scenarios?

The variance of a binomial distribution with 1 trial is used in various real-life scenarios, such as in quality control processes, market research, and medical trials. It helps in understanding the variability of outcomes and making informed decisions based on the probability of success.