Variance of the sum of random independent variables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dipole
Messages
553
Reaction score
149

Homework Statement



let [itex]x_{i}[/itex] be a random variable, and let [itex]y_{j} = \sum x_{i}[/itex].

The variance of the random distribution of the [itex]x_{i}'s[/itex] is known, and each y is the sum of an equal amount of [itex]x_{i}'s[/itex], say N of them.

How do I compute the variance of y in terms of [itex]\sigma^2_{x}[/itex] and N?

Homework Equations



[itex]\sigma^2_{y} = \sum\frac{(y - \mu_{y})^2}{M}[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Also forgot to mention that I already know that [itex]\mu_{y} = N\mu_{x}[/itex].
 
dipole said:

Homework Statement



let [itex]x_{i}[/itex] be a random variable, and let [itex]y_{j} = \sum x_{i}[/itex].

The variance of the random distribution of the [itex]x_{i}'s[/itex] is known, and each y is the sum of an equal amount of [itex]x_{i}'s[/itex], say N of them.

How do I compute the variance of y in terms of [itex]\sigma^2_{x}[/itex] and N?

Homework Equations



[itex]\sigma^2_{y} = \sum\frac{(y - \mu_{y})^2}{M}[/itex]

I don't understand your formula for [itex]\sigma^2_{y}[/itex], which would be false for every probability distribution I can think of. (It assumes Y is a uniformly-distributed random variable taking M distinct values.)

Start with the simple case N=2: [itex]Y = X_1 + X_2,[/itex] where [itex]X_1,\; X_2[/itex] are independent. Once you have done that case, the general case follows almost immediately.

RGV