1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variance of the sum of random independent variables

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let [itex]x_{i}[/itex] be a random variable, and let [itex] y_{j} = \sum x_{i}[/itex].

The variance of the random distribution of the [itex]x_{i}'s[/itex] is known, and each y is the sum of an equal amount of [itex]x_{i}'s[/itex], say N of them.

How do I compute the variance of y in terms of [itex] \sigma^2_{x} [/itex] and N?

2. Relevant equations

[itex] \sigma^2_{y} = \sum\frac{(y - \mu_{y})^2}{M} [/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    Also forgot to mention that I already know that [itex] \mu_{y} = N\mu_{x}[/itex].

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand your formula for [itex] \sigma^2_{y}[/itex], which would be false for every probability distribution I can think of. (It assumes Y is a uniformly-distributed random variable taking M distinct values.)

Start with the simple case N=2: [itex]Y = X_1 + X_2,[/itex] where [itex] X_1,\; X_2[/itex] are independent. Once you have done that case, the general case follows almost immediately.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook