Variation of electric field to produce electric current

In summary: You don't understand me, read the article, the thing is : when a + charged object is near a conductor, it will attract electrons , when this object moves relative to the conductor the electrons will move with him, creating current
abdo799
Theoretically , a change in either electric or magnetic field will cause a current to flow , i am already familiar to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction , so i tried to search about producing a current using a varying electric field, didn't find anything , i found an interseting apparatus though.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Alternate_Current_Electrostatic_Induction_Apparatus
tesla's electrostatic induction apparatus
My question here is about lenz's law , will this law be applicable here ? I know the law is in case of magnets , but i tried to imagine what will happen if we tried the coil magnet situation where approaching coil to the coil a resisting force will develop , but if we replaced the magnet with an electret ( electrostatic equivalent of permanent magnet), as it approaches the loop the side near the electret will obtain a partial charge opposing to charge of the electret causing it to approach faster.
In the end of the article tesla wrote "The output of such an apparatus is very small, but some of the effects peculiar to alternating currents of short periods may be observed. The effects, however, cannot be compared with those obtainable with an induction coil which is operated by an alternate current machine of high frequency, some of which were described by me a short while ago." why will the output of such an apparatus was small ? does electric field has smaller influence on electrons than magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
An electric field will produce a current if there are mobile charges. It's enough to put a conductor in the field and you get a current. A variable field will produce a variable current. But you don't need a variable electric field to have a current or some "exotic" effects.

nasu said:
An electric field will produce a current if there are mobile charges. It's enough to put a conductor in the field and you get a current. A variable field will produce a variable current. But you don't need a variable electric field to have a current or some "exotic" effects.
i know , but the current will soon stop as it reaches equilibrium , adjusting electronic distributing according to electric field , to keep a current flow , u will need to keep the electric field changing

abdo799 said:
i know , but the current will soon stop as it reaches equilibrium , adjusting electronic distributing according to electric field , to keep a current flow , u will need to keep the electric field changing

How about a resistor connected to a battery? Is the electric field changing in order to keep a constant current?

nasu said:
How about a resistor connected to a battery? Is the electric field changing in order to keep a constant current?

You don't understand me, read the article, the thing is : when a + charged object is near a conductor, it will attract electrons , when this object moves relative to the conductor the electrons will move with him, creating current

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a medium, typically in the form of electrons moving through a wire or conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

2. How is electric current produced?

Electric current is produced by a difference in electric potential (voltage) between two points in a circuit. This creates an electric field which causes electrons to flow from the higher potential point to the lower potential point, resulting in a current.

3. How does the electric field affect the production of electric current?

The strength and direction of the electric field directly impacts the rate at which electric current is produced. A stronger electric field will result in a higher current, while a weaker electric field will result in a lower current. The direction of the electric field also determines the direction of the current flow.

4. What is the relationship between electric field and electric current?

The relationship between electric field and electric current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) is directly proportional to the electric field (E) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) in a circuit. This can be represented by the equation I=E/R.

5. How can the variation of electric field be controlled to produce electric current?

The variation of electric field can be controlled by changing the voltage or resistance in a circuit. By adjusting these factors, the strength and direction of the electric field can be altered, thereby controlling the production of electric current. Additionally, using devices such as transformers and capacitors can also manipulate the electric field and produce desired variations in current.