1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of Kinetic Energy with temperature

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Question:

Find the total kinetic energy per unit volume in a monoatomic gas at standard temperature and pressure and deduce an expression for the variation of this kinetic energy with temperature if the pressure is maintained constant. [Standard pressure = 1.01E5 Pa]

Attempt:

Pressure of a gas
    [itex]pV= \dfrac{N_A m <c>^2}{3V}V[/itex]
    [itex]\dfrac{M<c>^2}{2} = 3pV/2[/itex]
    where M = NAm
    [itex]E_k /V = 3p/2[/itex]
    [itex]E_k /V = 1.52x10^5 J/m^3[/itex]

Variation of this Ek with temperature is pressure is maintained constant:
    [itex]E_k = 3pV/2[/itex]
    [itex]E_k = 3(nRT)/2[/itex].

Comments: For the "Variation of this Ek with temperature is pressure is maintained constant", is that all that I should show? What other comments should I include to make my working more accurate?

The guide mentioned:
    How so? can anyone please explain the bold sentence to me? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2
    Kinetic energy given by 3kNT/2 is for one mole of the gas at a given volume. So, I think that refers to the expansion of gas with the rise in temperature. The number of molecules per unit volume at a temperature T1 will be lesser that the number of molecules per unit volume at temperature T2 < T1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook