1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of parameters method

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1

djeitnstine

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]y''+y=tan(x)+e^{3x}-1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

homogeneous solution:
    [tex]y_{hom..}=C_{1}cos(x)+C_{2}sin(x)[/tex]

particular solution:
    [tex]y_{parti..}=v_{1}' cos(x)+v_{2}' sin(x)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]v_{1}' cos(x)+v_{2}' sin(x)=0[/tex] (1)

[tex]-v_{1}' sin(x)+v_{2}' cos(x) = tan(x)+e^{3x}-1 [/tex] (2)

(1)* by sin (2)* by cos

and solve for v2

[tex]sin(x)+e^{3x}cos(x)-cos(x)=v_{2}'[/tex]

[tex]-cos(x)+ \frac{3}{10}e^{3x}cos(x)-\frac{1}{10}sin(x)-sin(x)=v_{2}[/tex]

Now finding v1 is the problem here. if I reverse the multiplication and do (1)* by cos (2)* by sin it seems even worse =(. I saw the complete answer and if I remember correctly its [tex]y_{p}=\frac{1}{2}cos(x)ln(sin(x)+1)-\frac{1}{2}cos(x)ln(sin(x)-1)-\frac{1}{10}e^{3x}+1[/tex]

I really just need to know what to multiply by to get going

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why the primes? Why not just use [tex]y_p=v_{1}\cos(x)+v_{2}\sin(x)[/tex] as your ansatz (assumed form)?

Where are these equations coming from?:confused:

Your particular solution should satisfy [itex]y_p''+y_p=\tan(x)+e^{3x}-1[/itex] not [itex]y_p=0[/itex] or (2)

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As gabbagabbahey said, drop the primes from you solution- they are confusing.
    y(x)= v1(x)cos(x)+ v2(x)sin(x)
    Differenitate:
    y'= v1' cos(x)- v1 sin(x)+ v2' sin(x)+ v2 cos(x)
    Now, we can simplify this by "restricting" our search. Out of the infinitely many v1 and v2 that would satisfy the equation, we only look for those such that
    v1' cos(x)+ v2' sin(x)= 0

So now
    y'= -v1 sin(x)+ v2 cos(x)
    Differentiate again: y"= -v1' sin(x)- v1 cos(x)+ v2' cos(x)- v2 sin(x).

Put that and the equation for y' into the original differential equation and it gives one equation for v1' and v2' (all of the v1 and v2 terms without ' will cancel). That, together with v1' cos(x)+ v2' sin(x)= 0 gives to equations to solve (algebraically) for v1' and v2' and then you integrate to find v1 and v2.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Ok thanks I finally got the answer.

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5

djeitnstine

Gold Member

These equations come from a proof shown by various texts including my professor. One example is at http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ under the Diff Eq. pdf if you'd like to see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook