1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of pressure with depth

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the spring of the pressure gauge. has a force constant of 1250 N/m, and the piston has a diameter of .012m. As the gauge is lowered into water in a lake, what change in depth causes the piston to move by .0075 m

2. Relevant equations
    P= P[itex]_{0}[/itex] + [itex]\rho[/itex]gh variation with pressure
    P=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did this problem including P[itex]_{0}[/itex] (atmospheric pressure) and it was wrong, then did it without atmospheric pressure and got it right. I am confused as to why atmospheric pressure is not included. because Isn't the pressure at P at a depth H below a point in the liquid at which pressure is P[itex]_{0}[/itex] by an ammount [itex]\rho[/itex]gh?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2
    The piston moves due to a change in the pressure, doesn't it?

So, above surface the pressure is already [itex]P_0[/itex], which corresponds to a certain compression [itex]x_0[/itex]. Under the surface your equation holds and gives a compression [itex]x(P)=x_0+\Delta x[/itex]. What is [itex]\Delta x[/itex]?

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3
    Ah, so when I am calculating the force to move the spring F=kx 1250 X .0075, I can think atmospheric pressure is included in this calculation. Then I just end up with P=ρgh?

5. Nov 19, 2012 #4
    Yes, that's right. [itex]\Delta x[/itex] only depends on [itex]\rho g h[/itex] (and vice versa). By the way, this is why we often call this pressure (i.e. absolute pressure minus atmospheric pressure) gauge pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook