Variation of system energy in Canonical Ensemble

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the canonical ensemble to analyze a system in contact with a reservoir at a specific temperature. The expected value of the internal energy is a macroscopic quantity that depends on the number of particles, volume, and temperature. The density matrix is found by minimizing the Gibbs entropy with constraints on the total energy. The exchange of energy between the system and reservoir is due to statistical fluctuations, with the standard deviation decaying with the inverse of the number of particles.
devd
A system is in contact with a reservoir at a specific temperature. The macrostate of the system is specified by the triple (N,V,T) viz., particle number, volume and temperature.

The canonical ensemble can be used to analyze the situation. In the canonical ensemble, the system can exchange energy with the reservoir, with the system energy varying, in principle, from zero to infinity.

I don't understand how the system energy can vary once we specify (N,V,T). The internal energy, after all, can be considered to be a function of T and V, U=U(T,V).

Surely, we're not talking about the fluctuation, i.e. the standard deviation in energy, since that is very small for systems with large N. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##\underline{\text{expected value}}## of the internal energy ##<U>## is the (macroscopical) quantity that depends of ##N##,##T##.

Likes devd
In order to find the density matrix, you have to minimize the Gibb's entropy: $$S= -k_B Tr(\hat \rho ln \hat \rho)$$
With the constraints: $$Tr(\hat \rho)=1$$ and $$ <U>=Tr(\hat \rho \hat H) =E= constant$$
i.e, you let your system explore all the microstates (which include microstates with different energy) that are compatible with the macroscopic constraint ##<U>=E=constant##

Likes devd
Yes, i think i get where i was going wrong. I was equating the thermodynamic notion of internal energy to the internal energy of one individual system, instead of the ensemble average. Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear, there are multiple microstates with different U which correspond to the same macrostate defined by (N,V,T), right?
Also, this exchange of energy between the system and reservoir is basically due to statistical fluctuation, which i was ignoring?

Exactly.
Moreover, you can prove that, if we define ##\delta U = \frac{<U>-U}{U}## then the standard deviation of ##\delta U## (the relative fluctuations) decay as:
$$ <(\delta U)^{2}> \sim \frac{1}{N}$$

Likes devd

1. What is the Canonical Ensemble?

The Canonical Ensemble is a statistical mechanics concept used to describe a system that is in thermal equilibrium with a heat bath at a constant temperature and volume. It is often used to study systems that are in a fixed number of particles and exchanging energy with a surrounding reservoir.

2. How does the energy of a system vary in the Canonical Ensemble?

In the Canonical Ensemble, the energy of the system can vary due to the exchange of energy with the heat bath. This exchange can result in fluctuations in the energy of the system, but the average energy of the system will remain constant at the specified temperature.

3. What is the significance of the variation of system energy in the Canonical Ensemble?

The variation of system energy in the Canonical Ensemble allows us to understand the behavior of a system in thermal equilibrium. It helps us determine the probability of a system being in a particular energy state and allows us to calculate thermodynamic properties such as heat capacity and entropy.

4. How is the variation of system energy related to the Boltzmann distribution?

The variation of system energy is directly related to the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the probability of a system being in a particular energy state. The higher the energy of the state, the lower the probability of the system being in that state. This distribution helps us understand the behavior of a system at thermal equilibrium.

5. Can the variation of system energy in the Canonical Ensemble be calculated for any system?

Yes, the variation of system energy can be calculated for any system that is in thermal equilibrium with a heat bath at a constant temperature and volume. It is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and is widely applicable in the study of physical systems.