Variational calculus in particle dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the Principle of Least Action and the functional J(x) used to find the function y(x) that minimizes it. To do this, the function y(x) is written as the sum of another function η(x) and a constant α. The goal is to minimize J as a functional of α. The E-L equation is used to find the extremum of J, which leads to a differential equation for y(x). The conversation also addresses two questions about the process.
Lillensassi
I'm reading about the Principle of Least Action.
As a prelude to it, we look at the functional

J(x)=[itex]\int f(y(x),y'(x);x) dx[/itex]
where the limits of integration are x_1 and x_2.
We want to find the function y(x) that gives the functional an extremum.
Now, to do this, we write any possible function y(x) as the sum of the sought function y_0(x) and another function η(x) times a constant α, that is:
y(x)=y_0(x)+αη(x)
so our aim is then to minimize the functional J as a functional of α,
J(α)=[itex]\int f(y(α,x),y'(α,x);x) dx[/itex]
and the book says "The condition that the integral have a stationary value, (i.e. that an extremum results) is that J be independent of α in the first order along the path giving the extremum (α=0), or, equivalenty, that
[itex]\frac{\partial J}{\partial α}[/itex]=0 at α=0".

Now I have two questions:
1. Why not just take the derivative of the functional and put it equal to zero, like we've done when maximizing/minimizing things in Calculus class? and
2. If we know how to make α=0, why do we have to go to the trouble of differentiating the function at all? Isn't the conclusion just stating an obvious fact and not bringing any solution to the table?

I hope my reasoning is understandable, I haven't really completely grasped what I'm doing yet...!

p.s. the text is taken from the book Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems of Marion and Thornton

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1: You're not trying to find an extreme value for J. You're trying to find the function y(x) which minimises it. Finding y(x) means determining a recipe for y values for all x values in the specified interval. That's why a special procedure is needed.

Q2: I humbly suggest that you should try now to get to grips with the actual derivation of the E-L equation, and at least one example of its use. You may well find that Q2 then loses its cogency.

1. That is exactly what you are doing. The functional derivative is defined as:

$$\int_{x_1}^{x^2}\frac{\delta J[y(x)]}{\delta y(x)}dx\equiv\left.\frac{dJ[y(x)+\alpha h(x)]}{d\alpha}\right|_{\alpha=0}$$

I don't exactly understand what you mean by this question...

2. We don't know y_0(x). That's exactly what we are trying to find out! If we knew it, obviously we wouldn't waste our time doing this dance. What we are doing with this method of solutions is using the fundamental lemma of the calculus of variations to turn a functional integral equation (very hard to solve otherwise!) into a much more analysis friendly differential equation (the Euler-Lagrange equation).

Thank you!
Looks like the problem is lack of knowledge of multivariable calculus from my part. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction - sometimes asking the right questions can be as hard as finding the right answer!

I'm currently reading the classic by Cornelius Lanczos; 'The Variational Principles of Mechanics'. It has a good section on the E-L equation,, and is especially helpful ob boundary conditions.It's an old book, but Dover now publish it, so it doesn't cost the earth.

1. What is variational calculus in particle dynamics?

Variational calculus in particle dynamics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the optimization of a functional in order to determine the path or trajectory of a particle. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a particle between two points is the one that minimizes the action functional.

2. How is variational calculus used in particle dynamics?

Variational calculus is used to find the equations of motion for particles in a system. By minimizing the action functional, we can determine the path that particles will take in a given system. This is useful in understanding the behavior of particles in fields such as quantum mechanics and classical mechanics.

3. What are the applications of variational calculus in particle dynamics?

Variational calculus has many applications in particle dynamics, including in fields like classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. It is also used in areas such as celestial mechanics, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism.

4. What are the advantages of using variational calculus in particle dynamics?

Variational calculus allows for a more elegant and concise way of deriving equations of motion for particles. It also provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles governing particle behavior, such as the principle of least action.

5. Are there any limitations to using variational calculus in particle dynamics?

While variational calculus is a powerful tool in particle dynamics, it does have its limitations. It is often difficult to apply to complex systems with many interacting particles, and it may not always provide the most accurate results. Additionally, it requires a strong mathematical background and can be challenging to understand for those not familiar with the principles of variational calculus.