Variational method particle in box approx.

Thank you for the clarification. So the difference between the true value and the approximation is about 0.0147 \hbar^2/ma^2. In summary, the variational method was used to approximate the ground state energy of a particle in a one-dimensional box using a normalized trial wavefunction. The positive value for the parameter k was chosen over the negative value due to the resulting energy being closer to the true value. The difference between the approximation and the true value was found to be about 0.0147 \hbar^2/ma^2.
josecuervo

Homework Statement

use the variational method to approximate the ground state energy of the particle in a one-dimentional box using the normalized trial wavefunction ∅(x)=Nx[itex]^{k}[/itex](a-x)[itex]^{k}[/itex] where k is the parameter. Demonstrate why we choose the positive number rather than the negative value. By what absolute percentage does your value differ from the true one, (.125h[itex]^{2}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a^2? It is also stated that
[itex]\oint[/itex]psi*Hpsi dx=([itex]\bar{h}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex])(4k[itex]^{2}[/itex]+k)/(2k-1).

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure you have to use this one [itex]\oint[/itex]psi*Hpsi dx/[itex]\oint[/itex]psi*psi dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried to do is normalize the trial wavefunction which didn't get very far as I couldn't figure out how to do the integral. I also can't figure out to get either of the integrals to work because of the k powers. That is the main thing I'm blocked on. The only other thing I can think of is just to take an approximation of just the first two k values but the given integral with the incorporated hamiltonian has k included so it's wanting me to approx over all k. I need help getting to the next step. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral you've been given was evaluated using the normalized wave function, so I don't think you're expected to manually crank out the integrals.

In case you're curious, this is what Mathematica found:
[tex]\int \phi^*(x)\phi(x)\,dx = N^2\frac{\sqrt{\pi}a^{4k+1}k\,\Gamma(2k)}{16^k\, \Gamma(2k+3/2)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Could I assume that the integral on bottom is already normalized? what could I do then? could I just solve for k values?

Yes, you just need to find the value of k now.

would I take the derivative dE/dk and then solve for k?

Yes. That variational method will always overestimate the energy, so by finding the value of k that minimizes the estimate, you know you're getting the best approximation.

I'm having problems deriving and solving for k. When I take the derivative, I get

dE/dk=([STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/(m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex])(8k[itex]^{2}[/itex]-8k-1)/(1-2k)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

and I'm having problems solving for it. am I doing something wrong?

Looks good so far. Where are you getting stuck?

the derivative doesn't seem to be solveable because there's no way to move anything over to the other side. and I know that I'll get multiple values of k when I solve.

Remember a fraction is only equal to 0 only if the numerator is 0. That's probably exactly what you're getting, but you're mistakenly thinking it's not working out.

Okay, but if the value of k is 0, then that doesn't go with the problem. In the problem it states that there will be a positive and negative value for the parameter and it asks why the positive number is better. And if k is 0 then the approximation won't work when you plug back into E[itex]_{min}[/itex]

I didn't say k=0. I said the numerator had to be 0. What values of k cause the numerator to vanish?

ok. sorry, dumb moment.
so I solved for k=-.11237 and k=1.11237.

then I plugged the positive k value into E and got 3.133([STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][itex]^{2}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex]) or 19.68(h[itex]^{2}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex]) which isn't even in the ballpark of the true value.

and I tried the negative number and it's even worse. Did I do something wrong?

is there anyway you could work through the problem and double check my work? I've worked through it twice now and still haven't gotten an answer that looks right

Your values for k are correct, but your energies aren't. For the positive value of k, I get
[tex]E = \frac{4.9495 \hbar^2}{a^2 m}[/tex]while the actual ground state energy is[tex]E_0 = \frac{4.9348 \hbar^2}{a^2 m}[/tex]That looks pretty good actually.

how did you get that? it was given in the problem that the true initial value is

0.125h[itex]^{2}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex]

or .0199[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][itex]^{2}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex]

did you plug the k value into E[itex]_{min}[/itex]=([STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][itex]^{2}[/itex]/m[itex]_{e}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex])(4k[itex]^{2}[/itex]+k)/(2k-1)

I used[tex]E=\frac{\hbar^2\pi^2}{2ma^2} = \left(\frac{\pi^2}{2}\right)\frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2} \cong 4.9348 \frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2}[/tex]
I think you just converted to [itex]\hbar[/itex] incorrectly. You should have [itex]h=2\pi\hbar[/itex], so
[tex]E_n = \frac{n^2h^2}{8ma^2} = \frac{n^2(2\pi)^2\hbar^2}{8ma^2} = \frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]

1. What is the variational method?

The variational method is a technique used in quantum mechanics to approximate the ground state energy of a system. It involves finding a trial wavefunction that minimizes the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator.

2. How does the variational method work?

The variational method works by using a trial wavefunction that is similar to the actual wavefunction of the system. This trial wavefunction is then used to calculate the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator, which is minimized using mathematical techniques to obtain an approximation of the ground state energy.

3. What is the "particle in a box" model?

The "particle in a box" model is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. The box acts as a potential well for the particle, meaning that its motion is restricted to a certain region.

4. How is the variational method used in the particle in a box model?

In the particle in a box model, the variational method is used to find an approximation of the ground state energy. This is done by choosing a trial wavefunction that satisfies the boundary conditions of the box and then minimizing the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator using this trial wavefunction.

5. What are the limitations of the variational method?

The variational method is an approximation technique and therefore may not yield an exact solution. Its accuracy depends on the choice of trial wavefunction, and it may not always provide the best possible approximation. Additionally, the variational method can be computationally intensive, making it less practical for more complex systems.