Various problems & questions - help,suggestion?

• Thread starter R A V E N
  • Start date
In summary, the first equation is used when the wave starts from a equilibrium position and the second equation is used when the wave starts from a maximal displacement.
R A V E N
Code:
Question 1.

From kinematics we have [tex]a=\frac{\mathrm{d}^2s}{\mathrm{d}t^2}[/tex] which means,as I understood it:to get the acceleration,we first derive distance with respect to time,then again derive the result of that operation with respect to time.

If so,wouldn`t be more appropriate to write [tex]a=\frac{\mathrm{d}^2s}{\mathrm{d}t}[/tex] - I mean,what [tex]2[/tex] represents in [tex]\mathrm{d}t^2[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
d2x/dt2 is the correct notation for the second derivative.

Think of it more as Δ(Δx/Δt)/Δt, where the limit is applied as Δ tends toward 0.

Code:
Question 2:

The second question is about equation which describes a wave in air which originates from vibrating string attached to both of its ends and strained by some force.I know that people in United States and UK represent this equation in different form,so I`ll describe every parameter.The equation is:

[tex]y=A\sin(\omega t-kx)[/tex].

However,in one book it is given like:

[tex]y=A\cos(\omega t-kx)[/tex].

Why this second form is used and where it comes from?If I understood it correctly,it is the first equation where phase of the wave is shifted by [tex]+\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex],so the origin point of the Cartesian coordinate system used to analyze wave is moved for the corresponding length to the right,but for what purpose?

[tex]y[/tex] - displacement of the particle of air caused by the wave in the moment of [tex]t[/tex] and at the distance of [tex]x[/tex] from the origin point of the Cartesian coordinate system used to analyze the wave

[tex]A[/tex] - amplitude of the wave

[tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex] where [tex]T[/tex] is the period of the wave and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelenght of the wave.

Last edited:
Code:
Question 3:

We have a damped harmonic mechanical oscillator - a moving body on the spring.If force of damping is proportional to the speed of that body then:

a)none of the statements below is true
- CORRECT
b)frequency decreases with time - INCORRECT,SINCE FREQUENCY IS NOT FUNCTION OF TIME:
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{c^2}{4m^2}}[/tex]
c)displacement of body is sinusoidal function of time - INCORRECT,INSTEAD IT IS A SINUSOIDAL FUNCTION OF ANGULAR DISPLACEMENT
d)velocity of body is sinusoidal function of time - INCORRECT,INSTEAD IT IS A SINUSOIDAL FUNCTION OF ANGULAR DISPLACEMENT
e)mechanical energy is constant - INCORRECT,MECHANICAL ENERGY APPROACHES TO ZERO AS TIME PASSES

Have I answered and explained all this right?Actually,this is a trick question,since force of damping is ALWAYS quantitatively proportional to the speed of damping [tex]F=cv[/tex].

Last edited:
Have I wrote something non-understandable since English is not my first language?

R A V E N said:
Code:
Question 2:

The second question is about equation which describes a wave in air which originates from vibrating string attached to both of its ends and strained by some force.I know that people in United States and UK represent this equation in different form,so I`ll describe every parameter.The equation is:

[tex]y=A\sin(\omega t-kx)[/tex].

However,in one book it is given like:

[tex]y=A\cos(\omega t-kx)[/tex].

Why this second form is used and where it comes from?If I understood it correctly,it is the first equation where phase of the wave is shifted by [tex]+\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex],so the origin point of the Cartesian coordinate system used to analyze wave is moved for the corresponding length to the right,but for what purpose?
The two questions described two different scenarios.

For example, the first could describe a pendulum that starts from its equilibrium position. The second equation could represent a pendulum that starts from it's maximal displacement: imagine someone pulling a pendulum to the side and then releasing it.

Does that make sense?

1. What is the best way to seek help for various problems and questions?

The best way to seek help for various problems and questions is to first identify the specific issue you are facing and then reach out to a relevant expert or professional for assistance. This could include consulting with a teacher, seeking support from a counselor, or reaching out to a community forum for advice.

2. How can I make sure the suggestions I receive are helpful?

To ensure that the suggestions you receive are helpful, it is important to clearly communicate your problem or question and provide as much context as possible. This will allow others to understand your situation and provide relevant and effective solutions.

3. What should I do if I am not satisfied with the help or suggestions I receive?

If you are not satisfied with the help or suggestions you receive, it is important to communicate this to the person or group providing assistance. Be specific about what did not work for you and ask for alternative solutions or resources.

4. Is it okay to ask for help or suggestions more than once?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help or suggestions more than once. Sometimes, a solution may not work for your specific situation, and it is important to continue seeking assistance until you find a resolution that works for you.

5. Can I provide suggestions to others who are seeking help?

Yes, if you have relevant knowledge or experience that could help someone seeking assistance, it is encouraged to provide suggestions to them. Just make sure to be respectful and considerate in your approach, and always remember that everyone's situation is unique.