Various questions thoughout elem algebra, calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to finding solutions for cotangent and simplifying an expression involving trigonometric functions. The first question involves finding all solutions for cot^2(x) = 1 in a given interval, while the second question involves simplifying an expression involving the derivative of a function. The conversation also includes a discussion on solving quadratic equations and utilizing basic trigonometric identities.
stat643
Hi ,
Exams coming up.. and here are a few practice examples throughout the course (elem algebra, calculus) that i have been stuck on that would appreciate some help with.

1) find all solutions for cot^2(x) = 1, in the interval 2*pi <= x < 4*pi

seeing cot = 1/tan, then solving for x would equal = 0.017455.. giving me no obvious angle to find in the intervals stated (like i would do for similar examples).

2)

P(x) = [tex]\frac{1-sin(x)}{cos(x)}[/tex]

p'(x) = [tex]\frac{-cos(x)*cos(x) - (1-sin(x))(-sin(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{-cos^2(x)*cos(x) + sin(x)-sin^2(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{sin(x)-1}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]

i don't understand where the -cos^2(x)*cos(x) comes from in the third line, shouldn't this just be -cos^2(x)? and i don't understand the fourth line either.

will post the rest of the questions once i have these 2 worked out .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stat. Well your first question. Wot your doing at the moment is wrong because you are not trying to answer the question. What you need to be doing is solving the value for [itex] x [/itex] as your stated, but I don't think your were. So taking a look at the question:

[tex] cot^2(x) =1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{tan^2(x)} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] 1 = tan^2(x) [/tex]

[tex] 0 = tan^2(x) -1 [/tex]

now have a think about how you could go about solving this, where does this type of resulting equation appear from you knowledge of solving quadratics, hope that helps.

Hello stat643, welcome to Physicsforums!

For Question one, since we know that the cotangent has a period of [itex]\pi[/itex], it would be easiest to solve that equation in the interval of between 0 and pi, and then add multiples of [itex]pi[/itex] to the solution. We should be getting two solutions, because when we factor our equation we get cot x = 1 and cot x = -1. Solve That, then add the appropriate multiples of pi to get our answer in the correct range.

For question two, you probably copied it wrong because if you do it yourself, you are right, it shouldn't be a squared term. And if you continue with your own working, you'll see how to get the fourth line, which is correct.

About your second question. The must have been a typo or something as there shouldn't be a cos^2(x) there, it is a mistake, if you forget that ^2 then you get:

[tex]\frac{-cos^2(x) + sin(x)-sin^2(x)}{cos^2(x)} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{-cos^2(x) -sin^2(x) + sin(x)}{cos^2(x)} [/tex]

Know that should be far enough for you to apply your trig identity knowledge to get you to the final stage. This about a basic trig identities, one of the earliest you would have learnt, and think about how can you manipulate the second expression to use that identity, note that there is a reason why I rearranged the first into the second which should make it easier to see the identity in the expression.

Galadirith said:
Hi stat. Well your first question. Wot your doing at the moment is wrong because you are not trying to answer the question. What you need to be doing is solving the value for [itex] x [/itex] as your stated, but I don't think your were. So taking a look at the question:

[tex] cot^2(x) =1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{tan^2(x)} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] 1 = tan^2(x) [/tex]

[tex] 0 = tan^2(x) -1 [/tex]

now have a think about how you could go about solving this, where does this type of resulting equation appear from you knowledge of solving quadratics, hope that helps.

thanks,, i can see that now .

Gib Z said:
Hello stat643, welcome to Physicsforums!

For question two, you probably copied it wrong because if you do it yourself, you are right, it shouldn't be a squared term. And if you continue with your own working, you'll see how to get the fourth line, which is correct.

I copied it correctly so it must of been a typo in the text. It was the only one i couldn't do out of the 5 examples so yeh makes sense now, thanks.

Galadirith said:
About your second question. The must have been a typo or something as there shouldn't be a cos^2(x) there, it is a mistake, if you forget that ^2 then you get:

[tex]\frac{-cos^2(x) + sin(x)-sin^2(x)}{cos^2(x)} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{-cos^2(x) -sin^2(x) + sin(x)}{cos^2(x)} [/tex]

Know that should be far enough for you to apply your trig identity knowledge to get you to the final stage. This about a basic trig identities, one of the earliest you would have learnt, and think about how can you manipulate the second expression to use that identity, note that there is a reason why I rearranged the first into the second which should make it easier to see the identity in the expression.

thanks, yeh that is the first identity i learnt, and i didnt even notice it in there lol. thanks for pointing that out.

1. What is the purpose of learning algebra and calculus?

Algebra and calculus are important branches of mathematics that serve as the foundation for many other scientific and technical fields. They help us understand and solve complex problems in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. Algebra helps us manipulate and solve equations, while calculus helps us understand and analyze changes in quantities over time or space.

2. What are the main differences between algebra and calculus?

Algebra deals with manipulating and solving equations, while calculus deals with understanding and analyzing changes in quantities. Algebra focuses on discrete values, whereas calculus deals with continuous changes. Additionally, calculus involves concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, which are not found in algebra.

3. Do I need to have a strong foundation in algebra to learn calculus?

Yes, a strong understanding of algebra is essential for learning calculus. Many concepts in calculus build upon the fundamentals of algebra, such as solving equations, understanding functions, and graphing. Without a strong foundation in algebra, it can be difficult to grasp the concepts and applications of calculus.

4. How can I improve my skills in algebra and calculus?

The best way to improve your skills in algebra and calculus is through practice. It is important to not only understand the concepts but also to apply them to various problems. Practice solving different types of equations and problems, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. There are also many online resources and practice problems available.

5. Are there real-life applications for algebra and calculus?

Yes, algebra and calculus have numerous real-life applications in various fields. For example, calculus is used in engineering to design structures and calculate forces, in economics to analyze supply and demand, and in physics to understand the motion of objects. Algebra is used in computer science to develop algorithms and in finance to calculate investments and loans. These are just a few examples of the many practical applications of algebra and calculus in our daily lives.