1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Varying inclination on plane: Undetermined multipliers

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass ##m## rests on a smooth plane. The plane is raised to an inclination ##\theta## at constant rate ##\alpha##. Find the constraint force.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##L=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)-mgy## Lagrangian

##f=\frac{y}{x}-\tan\alpha t = 0 ## constraint equation

##\partial_y f = \frac{1}{x}##

##\partial_x f = \frac{-y}{x^2}##

##\partial_q L - d_t \partial_\dot{q} L + \lambda \partial_q f = 0 ## Method of undetermined multipliers formula.

##\to \boxed{m\ddot{x}+\lambda \frac{y}{x^2} = 0} \quad \boxed{mg+m\ddot{y}=\frac{\lambda}{x}}##

Using tedious manipulation I've gotten to the point where I can say

##\ddot{x}x+\ddot{y}y+gy=0##

And haven't found any other useful formula.

I know I could switch to a polar coordinate basis and find ##r(t)## there and solve ##x## and ##y## and indirectly find constraint forces, but I'm not interested in that. Unless I'm clearly using the Lagrange undetermined multipliers.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's an idea: Write the Lagrangian in terms of polar coordinates, but keep both ## r ## and ## \phi ## as the generalized coordinates - do not incorporate the constraint into the kinetic or potential energy terms. Rather, incorporate it through the Lagrange multiplier technique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted