1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Varying thermal conductivity with length

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    I'm interested in modeling a system where the material varies along its length, thus the conductivity coefficient would be a function of both T, and x. k(T,x). For starters, if I assume negligible change w.r.t T, then he heat diffusion equation would be d/dt(k(x)dT/dx)=0. Correct? What if k just equals x (ie. linear)

I'm a little rusty with this solution. Any help?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2
    Hi j_phillips. Welcome to physics forums!!!
    In your equation, what does the lower case t represent? Is this supposed to be a steady state problem, or an unsteady state problem?

Chet

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    That's not the correct equation. It should be

[tex]C \rho\frac{\partial}{\partial t}T =\frac{\partial}{\partial x} k(x,T)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T,[/tex]
    where [itex]C, \rho,[/itex] and [itex] k [/itex] are the heat capacity, density, and conductivity of the material

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
    I appreciate the welcome!

This would be steady-state so the right side of the equation would go to zero. If k=x, then d/dx(k) would equal a constant K, but then there is t d/dx*T term which would be unaccounted for?

Instead of a constant (K), let's say k(x,T)=100+cos(2x) for 0<x<(pi/2) (I'm just trying to liven up the problem.) then d'K=-2*sin(2x) then 0=2*sin(2x)*d/dx(T)?

6. Feb 22, 2014 #5
    So the equation you are solving is:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left(k(x)\frac{dT}{d x}\right)=0[/tex]
    Integrating this once with respect to x gives:
    [tex]k(x)\frac{dT}{d x}=C[/tex]
    where C is minus the (constant) heat flux.
    Integrating again gives:
    [tex]T=C\int_0^x{\frac{dζ}{k(ζ)}}+T(0)[/tex]
    where ζ is a dummy variable of integration. If the temperature is specified at x = 0 and x = L, that is enough information to get the heat flux C.

Chet

7. Feb 22, 2014 #6
    For a steady state the equation becomes
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} k(x,T)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = 0[/tex]
    [tex]k(x,T)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = A[/tex]
    Where A is some constant.
    If k = x then
    [tex]x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = A[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T = \frac{A}{x}[/tex]
    [tex]T = A ln(x) + B[/tex]

8. Feb 22, 2014 #7
    Chestermiller beat me to the punch, except that his solution assumes x=0 as the reference point. That doesn't work for that specific problem because k(x) would be zero there.

9. Feb 22, 2014 #8
    Thanks! Much appreciated!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook