1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition and subtraction. feeling stupid for being confused over this

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A = 2i + 3j
    B = -5i + 6j

Calculate (draw vector diagram)
    A + B
    A - B
    2. Relevant equations

actually we're just confused as to whether we need to use the angles to answer this or just answer it directly, meaning that for A + B the answer would be -3i + 9j

3. The attempt at a solution

do we use

A + B = -3i + 9j

or solve for the angles(*rounded off) and use

A+B = ((√13)cos56 + (√61)cos50)i + ((√13)sin56 + (√61)sin50)j

????????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try drawing the vectors on graph paper, and adding/subtracting head-to-tail.
    They are simple enough to do this, and it will clear up your confusion.

The vectors are provided to you in Cartesian representation. If you do it by angles, you want the polar representation. These are entirely equivalent and will get you the same answers. (provided you worked out the angles correctly - yours are all in the 1st quadrant but the vectors are not... one is in the 4th quadrant so it's angle is greater than 270 degrees - I have not checked that you've accounted for this.)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. Nov 19, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem statement asks you to 'draw vector diagram' for A+B and A-B. Did you do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook