1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calc: Ortho Projections

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the projection of P in the direction of Q and the component of P orthogonal to Q.

P=i-3j+k Q=-i+2j+5k

2. Relevant equations
    ProjQ(P)={(P*Q)/(Q*Q)}Q

OrthQ(P)=P-ProjQ(P)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I get P=(1,-3,1) and Q=(-1,2,5)

ProjQ(P)
    =(-2/30)*(-1,2,5)
    ={(1/15),(-2/15),(-1/3)}

That's correct, as far as the book is concerned.

Now, finding the orthogonal part is where I get held up.

I do this:
    OrthQ(P)=
    =(1,-3,1)-{(1/15),(-2/15),(-1/3)}
    ={14/15,(47/15),(4/3)}

Which is wrong. The book says the correct answer is: {(74/15),(32/15),(-2/3)}.

I'm at a complete loss as to how they got this. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your formula for [itex]\text{Proj}_\textbf{Q}(\textbf{P})[/itex] should have [itex]\textbf{Q}\cdot\textbf{Q}[/itex] in the denominator, not [itex]\textbf{P}\cdot\textbf{P}=11[/itex], although you seem to have done the calculations correctly.

I think the answer given in the back of your text for the second part is wrong, and they switched to using [itex]\textbf{P}=5\textbf{i}+2\textbf{j}-\textbf{k}[/itex] by mistake in that 2nd part to get their (incorrect) answer.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. May 13, 2010 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you mean

ProjQ(P)={(P*Q)/(Q*Q)}Q

which must be what you used since you got the right answer for ProjQ(P).

For OrthQ(P), I get (14, -43, 20)/15, which doesn't match either your answer or the book's.

5. May 13, 2010 #4
    Ah, yes. It should be QQ in the denominator rather than PP. I just translated it incorrectly to the forum, I've been working on this for a while now and am getting frustrated.

But if they're using P=5i+2j-k...that's not in the problem. It appears the textbook is incorrect?

6. May 13, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the textbook is incorrect. However,as jbunnii pointed out, your answer is also a little off (pay close attention to your negative signs)

7. May 13, 2010 #6
    Alright, I realize now what I did was incorrect. OrthoP should be = (14, -43, 20)/15, I forgot that there was a -1/3 in ProjP which is why I didn't get 20/15 and added the -2 wrong to 45.

However, that's still not what's in the back of the book. Argh. I guess I can take my case to the prof in the morning. Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook