Vector Calc: Ortho Projections

In summary, the textbook is incorrect when it comes to calculating the orthogonal part of P. The correct answer is {(74/15),(32/15),(-2/3)}
winowmak3r

Homework Statement

Find the projection of P in the direction of Q and the component of P orthogonal to Q.

P=i-3j+k Q=-i+2j+5k

Homework Equations

ProjQ(P)={(P*Q)/(Q*Q)}Q

OrthQ(P)=P-ProjQ(P)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I get P=(1,-3,1) and Q=(-1,2,5)

ProjQ(P)
=(-2/30)*(-1,2,5)
={(1/15),(-2/15),(-1/3)}

That's correct, as far as the book is concerned.

Now, finding the orthogonal part is where I get held up.

I do this:
OrthQ(P)=
=(1,-3,1)-{(1/15),(-2/15),(-1/3)}
={14/15,(47/15),(4/3)}

Which is wrong. The book says the correct answer is: {(74/15),(32/15),(-2/3)}.

I'm at a complete loss as to how they got this. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for [itex]\text{Proj}_\textbf{Q}(\textbf{P})[/itex] should have [itex]\textbf{Q}\cdot\textbf{Q}[/itex] in the denominator, not [itex]\textbf{P}\cdot\textbf{P}=11[/itex], although you seem to have done the calculations correctly.

I think the answer given in the back of your text for the second part is wrong, and they switched to using [itex]\textbf{P}=5\textbf{i}+2\textbf{j}-\textbf{k}[/itex] by mistake in that 2nd part to get their (incorrect) answer.

Last edited:
winowmak3r said:
ProjQ(P)={(P*Q)/(P*P)}Q

I assume you mean

ProjQ(P)={(P*Q)/(Q*Q)}Q

which must be what you used since you got the right answer for ProjQ(P).

For OrthQ(P), I get (14, -43, 20)/15, which doesn't match either your answer or the book's.

Ah, yes. It should be QQ in the denominator rather than PP. I just translated it incorrectly to the forum, I've been working on this for a while now and am getting frustrated.

But if they're using P=5i+2j-k...that's not in the problem. It appears the textbook is incorrect?

Yes, the textbook is incorrect. However,as jbunnii pointed out, your answer is also a little off (pay close attention to your negative signs)

jbunniii said:
I assume you mean

ProjQ(P)={(P*Q)/(Q*Q)}Q

which must be what you used since you got the right answer for ProjQ(P).

For OrthQ(P), I get (14, -43, 20)/15, which doesn't match either your answer or the book's.

Alright, I realize now what I did was incorrect. OrthoP should be = (14, -43, 20)/15, I forgot that there was a -1/3 in ProjP which is why I didn't get 20/15 and added the -2 wrong to 45.

However, that's still not what's in the back of the book. Argh. I guess I can take my case to the prof in the morning. Thanks guys.

1. What is vector calculus and how is it used in ortho projections?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the application of calculus in three-dimensional space. It involves the study of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In ortho projections, vector calculus is used to calculate the projections of a vector onto different axes or planes.

2. What is the difference between a vector projection and a scalar projection?

A vector projection involves calculating the component of a vector that lies in a specific direction or onto a specific axis. On the other hand, a scalar projection involves calculating the length of the projection of a vector onto a specific direction or axis. In other words, a vector projection gives a vector as the result, while a scalar projection gives a scalar value as the result.

3. How do you calculate the vector projection of a vector onto a plane?

To calculate the vector projection of a vector onto a plane, you first need to find the unit vector that is perpendicular to the plane. This can be done by taking the cross product of two vectors that lie in the plane. Then, you can calculate the dot product of the vector you want to project and the unit vector perpendicular to the plane. This dot product will give you the magnitude of the projected vector, and you can use the unit vector to determine its direction.

4. Can you explain the concept of orthogonal vectors in ortho projections?

Orthogonal vectors are two vectors that are perpendicular to each other. In ortho projections, this means that the projection of one vector onto the other will be zero. This concept is important in determining the components of a vector in different directions or onto different planes.

5. What are some practical applications of vector calculus in ortho projections?

Vector calculus is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where precise calculations of vectors and their projections are necessary. In ortho projections, it is used in creating 3D models, calculating forces and motions, and in computer graphics for rendering images and animations.