1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus, + finding parametric equation

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The line L
    L1: x=3+2t, y=2t, z=t
    Intersects the plane x+3y-z=-4 at a point P. Find a set of parametric equations for the line in the same plane that goes through P and is perpendicular to L.

2. Relevant equations
    cross-product
    r=r0+t(vector) this is to get in parametric form typically

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well lets just say first I'm having trouble visually what this question is asking (is there a program where I can graph this type of stuff in 3 space?)

substituting the values of "L" into the plane equation and then solved for "t" which was -1. I then plugged those values into the parametric equations of the line to get the point of intersection P(1,2,-1)

Here is where I get confused and visually a bit shaky. I decided to use the normal direction vector, I'll call it
    "n1" from the plane=<1,3,-1> and "n2" from the line =<2,2,1>
    I take the cross product with the resultant vector being <-5,3,4>
    So I then use the parametric equation which is: L2 => x=1-5t, y=-2+3t, z=-1+4t

I'm think I'm done at this point because now I have to sets of parametric equations. To check my answer I set
    L1 and L2 equal to each other, solved for the variables using elimination and found the intersection point to be the same as I found earlier.

I have no idea if I'm right or wrong, any tips would be helpful! Please don't just tell me the answer, I would prefr someone to point out a mistake and let me figure out the rest, after all, I'm taking math to actually grasp it :)

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The intersection point is <1,-2,-1> but that's just a typo. Looks ok otherwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted