1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus - How to use the gradient?

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the template
    I have done part A (i think) really not sure where to begin with the rest of the parts, would appreciate a tip in the right direction, its revision for my first year physics exams in a few weeks.

Consider the funtion T in the plane (x,y), given by T=ln(x^2 + y^2)

at point 1,2

a) in which direction is most rapid increase in T

I did Grad(T) to get a vector which i think is in the direction of most rapid increase (2/5,4/5)

b) what distance in this direction gives an inrease of .2 in T

c) what distance in direction i + j gives and increase of .12 in T

d) in what directions will T be stationary.

I dont want solutions, just how to go about solving the problems

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2
    I have done part A (i think) really not sure where to begin with the rest of the parts, would appreciate a tip in the right direction, its revision for my first year physics exams in a few weeks.

Consider the funtion T in the plane (x,y), given by T=ln(x^2 + y^2)

at point 1,2

a) in which direction is most rapid increase in T

I did Grad(T) to get a vector which i think is in the direction of most rapid increase (2/5,4/5)

b) what distance in this direction gives an inrease of .2 in T

c) what distance in direction i + j gives and increase of .12 in T

d) in what directions will T be stationary.

I dont want solutions, just how to go about solving the problems

4. May 26, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For (b): if you go along direction (2/5,4/5) from the point (1,2) you are looking at points of the form ##x = x(t) = 1 + (2/5)t, \:y = y(t) = 2 + (4/5)t##, where ##t > 0## is a scalar.

5. May 29, 2015 #4
    (DelT = delta T (change in T))

Turns out the best way to do it for those who are interested is you use DelT = GradT . r, to get the largest change in t (highest delT) r and GradT must be in the same direction. To work out how far in a certain direcction it changes by a certain amount, set delT to whatever you want the change to be (.2 for b) then set r to be a vecctor with magnitude a and direction the same as the direction it was in a, then simply solve for a. Do the same for part c, and finally for part d, set delT to 0 so GradT must be perpendicular to r, which is pretty easy to do by inspection.

Thanks for the reply.

6. May 29, 2015 #5
    For simplicity, direction of (2/5,4/5) is the same of (1,2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted