Maximizing Sub-Rectangle Area in a Sequence of Partitions for a Unit Square

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem where the mesh size does not go to zero, but the area of the largest sub-rectangle does. He is having trouble starting the problem, but thinks about rectangles that are long and skinny.
Nicolaus

Homework Statement

Let R be the unit square such that R= [0,1] x [0,1]
Find a sequence of partitions of R such that the limit as k ->inf of the area of the largest sub-rectangle of the partition (where k is number of partitions) goes to zero but the mesh size does not go to zero.
Depicting the first couple of partitions in the sequence graphically suffices.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to show the converse, i.e. showing that if the mesh size goes to zero, then the area of the largest sub rectangle goes to zero. In this case, the mesh size is the Euclidean norm of the i'th sub-rectangle: if I divide the square into 4 unequal sub-rectangles, then: 0 < 4(maxA(R)) < 4mesh^2 (i.e. Euclidean Norm squared) so by taking the limit of the mesh, and if it tends to zero, then the max area will tend to zero by squeeze. I'm having trouble starting the aforementioned problem, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolaus said:

Homework Statement

Let R be the unit square such that R= [0,1] x [0,1]
Find a sequence of partitions of R such that the limit as k ->inf of the area of the largest sub-rectangle of the partition (where k is number of partitions) goes to zero but the mesh size does not go to zero.
Depicting the first couple of partitions in the sequence graphically suffices.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to show the converse, i.e. showing that if the mesh size goes to zero, then the area of the largest sub rectangle goes to zero. In this case, the mesh size is the Euclidean norm of the i'th sub-rectangle: if I divide the square into 4 unequal sub-rectangles, then: 0 < 4(maxA(R)) < 4mesh^2 (i.e. Euclidean Norm squared) so by taking the limit of the mesh, and if it tends to zero, then the max area will tend to zero by squeeze. I'm having trouble starting the aforementioned problem, though.

Think about long skinny rectangles.

Thanks

What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the mathematical operations and properties of vectors in multi-dimensional spaces. It is used to study and analyze the behavior of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to every point in a space.

What are the basic concepts of Vector Calculus?

The basic concepts of Vector Calculus include vectors, vector fields, gradient, divergence, curl, line integrals, surface integrals, and vector calculus theorems such as Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem, and the Divergence Theorem.

What are the applications of Vector Calculus in science and engineering?

Vector Calculus has various applications in science and engineering, such as in physics, where it is used to describe the motion of objects in space and time. It is also used in engineering to analyze electric and magnetic fields, fluid mechanics, and optimization problems.

What are some common problems in Vector Calculus?

Some common problems in Vector Calculus include finding the gradient, divergence, or curl of a vector field, solving line and surface integrals, and applying vector calculus theorems to solve real-world problems.

How can I improve my understanding and skills in Vector Calculus?

To improve your understanding and skills in Vector Calculus, it is important to practice solving various types of problems, seek help from textbooks or online resources, and attend lectures or seek guidance from a professor or tutor. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals.